• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future Folding Farm Hardware Info Thread (LGA2011)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
-
A new thread to focus mainly on LGA2011 info. (The other thread had alittle bit of everything)

Keep in mind this is just a gathering place for info on the new platform......If you don't like the source or validity of info posted, please keep any negative comments to yourself.

As we get in May/June more & more info should be trickling out.

thumb.jpeg

A leaked Intel product roadmap reveals the specs of Sandy Bridge E series processors.

According to the report from XFastest,Intel will introduce three Sandy Bridge E series CPUs in this 4th quarter,two of them are six-core products,while one is the four-core version.

The two six-core processors are clocked at 3.3GHz/3.2GHz,feature 15MB/12MB cache of memory.And the quad-core product is clocked at 3.6GHz and has 10MB of cache,which features some restriction in overclocking.

As the roadmap reveals,it will get update with Core i7-2600k and Core i5-2500k processors in this 3rd quarter,but they will be replaced by 22nm Ivy Bridge processors.

Sandy Bridge E series processors will be based on 32m manufacturing process,feature LGA 2011 socket,support quad-channel memory technology,match with X79 chipset and target enthusiastic overclocking playerss and gaming players for replacing Core i7 processors with LGA 1366 socket.

SOURCE

Last edited:
"Bloomfield", (45nm), we barely got to know thee! :D

Thanks for the info, Cuda.

By the time LGA2011 is released, LGA1366 will have been on the scene three years.

Cost aside, i'm looking forward to it. All LGA1155 did for me was peak my curiosity as to how far they are going to go with Sandy Bridge E.

What kind of ppd do you guys think these might get? 70~80k? I'm not really excited about these. I was hoping for some 8 core processors. I guess if they oc like mad I might get more excited.

Way to premature to know what kind of PPD we will be looking at...... I would think that 70-80K will be on the light side though. (Based on current 1366 high clocked six cores now) ;)

Though if Stanford changes the point system, it's all out the window anyway :shrug:

I was looking forward to eight cores myself but i think were gonna have to wait for Intel's high-end desktop platform @ 22nm for that......But i also believe Intel is holding back some ammo, in case AMD's bulldozer is all they say it will be.

Bottom line, considering a current Core i7 2600K gives 6-core Core i7 9XX a run for it's $$, (never mind the updated version due to be released before LGA2011) there should be no doubt that SNB-E at 6 cores will ooze performance. Really, it's just the cost of admission that is of concern to me at this point.

A 6 core SB @ 4.5 GHz should come in close to 100,000 ppd on p6901 when running native Linux.

I was looking forward to eight cores myself but i think were gonna have to wait for Intel's high-end desktop platform @ 22nm for that.....

With my folding farm planning nothing's ever carved in stone, but I'm really wanting to wait for 8 cores + 8 HT in a desktop processor(under $400) before I procure anymore hardware. And yea, which ever direction Stanford goes with the WU/points is going to be a big factor as well.

Hey, I'm tryin' to shed my bad habits before Judgement Day...
quit drinking- done
quit smoking- done
weight lose- in progress
computer hardware- uh, still struggling with that... :shrug:

Last edited:
Additional Details on Sandy Bridge-E Processors, X79, and LGA2011

ANANDTECH

Memory support will move up to quad-channel DDR3-1333, so where the current Bloomfield can provide up to 25.6GB/s of bandwidth at the specified tri-channel DDR3-1066, LGA2011 kicks that figure up to 42.7GB/s—a 66% increase.

Demo Intel X79 Boards at COMPUTEX 2011

Intel_Desktop_Sandybridge-E_2.png.png

Intel X79 chipset is codenamed Patsburg-HEDT PCH and its processor is codenamed Sandy Bridge-E and together they form the Waimea Bay platform, a two-chip solution. Intel X79 boards will be ready as early as August and Sandy Bridge-E processor about a month after.

Let's take a closer look at what this high end desktop chipset and Sandy Bridge-E processor have to offer.

Sandy Bridge-E CPU Feature Overview

Up to 6 cores and 12 threads
32-KB instruction and 32-KB data L1 cache per core
256-KB shared instruction/data L2 cache per core
Up to 15 MB L3 cache (up to 2.5 MB per core) shared among all cores
Up to 40 PCIe Gen 3 Lanes (2x16 & 1x8)
4 lanes of DMI2/PCI Express 2.0 interface
4 Channels DDR3-1600 (1 DIMM per Channel)
Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 (thermal control is the only limiter)
130W TDP
LGA2011 Socket

Sandy Bridge-E comes in 3 SKUs :

Sandy Bridge Extreme Edition : 6 cores / 12 threads, 3.3GHz clock, 15MB L3 cache (2.5MB per core), Max. OC
Sandy Bridge E : 6 cores / 12 threads, 3.2GHz clock, 12MB L3 cache (2MB per core), Max. OC
Sandy Bridge E : 4 cores / 8 threads, 3.6GHz clock, 10MB L3 cache (2.5MB per core), Limited OC

Intel X79 Express Chipset (Patsburg-HEDT) Overview

10 SATA 6Gbps ports with SAS capability
4 SATA 3Gps ports
PCIe 3.0 x4 uplink for dedicated storage bandwidth
8 PCIe 2.0 lanes
14 USB 2.0 ports
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet MAC (Lewisville PHY)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise 3.0
SAS RAID support (0/1/10)
SAS Expander support
SATA RAID support (0/1/10/5)
Write Journaling
Open Source Linux support
100MHz BCLK
Supports processor, memory and chipset overclocking
Supports Intel Extreme Tuning Utility 3.0 (XTU)
8-layer PCB, 2oz copper recommended

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/makers-...rds-at-computex-2011/12011.html#ixzz1LCZfvHjS

On The First Day of Computex-mas, Intel X79 Motherboards

On the eve of Computex red and black theme grows as the Foxconn Quantum Force X79 is reavealed in photos along with offerings from ASRock, MSI, ASUS and GIGABYTE. Seen nude without its cooling, the quad channel DIMMs and the vast row of S-ATA connections is set to make heads turn.

While all boards are without cooling heatsinks, they are likely to keep within the current makers trends which will finish off these little (EATX) motherboards just right. The LGA2011 socket and X79 chipset is expected in Q4 for release heralding the end the popular Intel X58 platform.

foxconn_quantumforce_x79_1.jpg

gx79.jpg

msix79.jpg

http://www.vortez.net/news_story/on_the_first_day_of_computex_masintel_x79_motherboards.html

Interesting dimm layout.

SNB-E has four 64-bit DDR3 memory channels which makes routing a pain. Motherboard manufacturers are dealing with the incredible number of traces by splitting the channels up and routing half of them on one side of the CPU and the other half on the other. LGA-1366 boards by comparison had all six slots on a single side of the CPU, but there were "only" three channels.

Source

EVGA working on dual-socket X79 mobo

Computex — We visited with EVGA this morning in Taipei and learned some interesting details about the company's current and upcoming products. EVGA was quick to admit that it's been a little slow to bring 6-series Sandy Bridge motherboards to market, a fact underscored by the absence of a Z68 model

Unlike some motherboard makers, EVGA didn't have an X79 motherboard on display. However, the company says it will have a board ready for the chipset's launch this fall. A few months after that, a dual-socket X79 model will arrive to replace the extravagant Classified SR-2.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21061

Back