• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My CM690II w/c system - Now with SB and 570GTX SLI!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Owenator

Senior Internet Fart
I updated my build from here with an i7 2600k and two GTX570's. (Plus a few extra goodies like a GT430 and 2xF120's in RAID 0.:D)

The whole system:
picture.php

CPU closeup:
picture.php

GTX570s in SLI (using stock plate with MCW60 and "custom" mounting):
picture.php

Closer look at the loops.
picture.php

My same exact case! I'm planning a wc setup in it right now... Would you mind posting a pic of the top side of the case? Were you able to fit the 120x120x38 Panaflos up there without having to cut up the top mesh? Or did you have to mod that part?

One more question: It looks like you have the two 570s on a separate loop and running to a single 2x120 rad... And the cpu is running to two 2x120 rads... correct? May I ask the reasoning behind that? I would have guessed a single 2x120 would have been enough to hold the CPU alone and the two GPUs would have benefited from the extra rad... No?

One more question: It looks like you have the two 570s on a separate loop and running to a single 2x120 rad... And the cpu is running to two 2x120 rads... correct? May I ask the reasoning behind that? I would have guessed a single 2x120 would have been enough to hold the CPU alone and the two GPUs would have benefited from the extra rad... No?

The CPU would have been decently unhappy temp wise when the graphics were loaded in a setup like that...though realistically either setup would work I'd think

The CPU would have been decently unhappy temp wise when the graphics were loaded in a setup like that...though realistically either setup would work I'd think

LOL...

I think you misunderstood me. If one of the rads was taken of the CPU and given to the GPUs while still keeping the loops separated; I'd guess the GPUs need more rad than the CPU and that's why I asked...

You telling me a 120x2 can't hold a 2600K?

Owenator, what kind of temps are you seeing on the CPU, GPU, and loop? This is a nearly identical setup to what mine is going to be except I have an i7 920 and will have 2 x 120.3's which should be the same amount of area as yours. Really curious to see the performance of your system because it will be something to shoot off of for mine.

LOL...

I think you misunderstood me. If one of the rads was taken of the CPU and given to the GPUs while still keeping the loops separated; I'd guess the GPUs need more rad than the CPU and that's why I asked...

You telling me a 120x2 can't hold a 2600K?

OH, I see what you're saying. GPU's will be happier with a higher DT, they don't really gain as much, because of the bad thermal interface to the core (via the IHS), overrading is more beneficial in a CPU loop than a GPU loop. (I didn't see the 120.2 up top lol)

Sorry, just getting back to you all. Portal 2 was a bigger draw of my attention. ;)

Here is a shot of the top. Not enough space under the grill for 38mm thick fans so I took it out. ALso had to cut out the plastic that is under the top grill.
picture.php

Off the top of my head I thik that the CPU and GPU temps only get into the 40's in a 25C room but I need to run an actual Prime + Haven run to get full load on both.

I had the two 2x120 rads on the CPU because this was first a i7-920 socket 1366 setup and the CPU needed the extra cooling. And like Mort said, GPU's are not as temperature sensitive. I do usually overclock both eventually.

Thank you Sr for the top view pic...

This does give me pause about using my 38mm beasts on my upcoming w/c setup... I definitely don't want to cut up any external part of my case so I guess I'll have to find other fans in the 25mm flavor to go up there.

Thank you Sr for the top view pic...

This does give me pause about using my 38mm beasts on my upcoming w/c setup... I definitely don't want to cut up any external part of my case so I guess I'll have to find other fans in the 25mm flavor to go up there.
It's not that much cutting. The grill comes off in one piece. I only had to remove two plastic 'cross members' that were under the grill to get the 38mm fans to fit. You can see the residual of them as the bumps on the righ of the fans. If you did cut it them out they would be concealed by the grill if you switched back to 25mm fans.

EDIT: I just rememebered that there was also a font to back part in the middle so it was more like connected in six places. You can see them under the grill easy enough.
Hpim4407-300x225.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh... Here I thought you had had to cut the top mesh part somehow... if the cuts are to the inside of the case and to the little support bars on the inside of the top section... I can do that! I just don't want big gaping holes up there.

And sorry to be a pest, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I put dremel to case...

I see you have your top fans in "pull" sucking air out through the rad.... Are the fans on the bottom rad also in "pull" and taking air out of the case?

thanks again
Sebas

Ahh... Here I thought you had had to cut the top mesh part somehow... if the cuts are to the inside of the case and to the little support bars on the inside of the top section... I can do that! I just don't want big gaping holes up there.

And sorry to be a pest, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I put dremel to case...

I see you have your top fans in "pull" sucking air out through the rad.... Are the fans on the bottom rad also in "pull" and taking air out of the case?

thanks again
Sebas
Those were my thoughts exactly on the case. It is too nice looking to mess up cutting. I ended up using sheet metal skips to cut the plastic cross members and then I filed down the residual as needed.

I tried the rad up there but wouldn't fit in the space even with the plastic cross members removed. That's why I settled on the pull arrangement which is fine because they were exhaust fan locations anyway. The bottom fans are pushing on the rad. They act as intake fans which is also how the case was designed. I did remove the rear 120 mm fan and the the front 140mm fan to keep the flow through the rads as high as possible.

Later, I added a 140mm inlet fan in the top position on the case side and covered the bottom one. I added this fan to get more air onto the heatsinks surrounding the CPU. The fan is kind of annoying when you open the case but the cooling is worth it. :thup:

Story of my life lol
I really need to wire up a 3-pin fan extension cable some day to make it a little easier. I only need like 6 in more and then it will connect at the 'case edge' as opposed to having to reach in to the fan header each time. :D

I really need to wire up a 3-pin fan extension cable some day to make it a little easier. I only need like 6 in more and then it will connect at the 'case edge' as opposed to having to reach in to the fan header each time. :D

You could always desolder the wire at the fan and run your own...off the top of my head 28 gauge should work...you could actually bundle them if you have something with dual conductor coax in it, use the black and red for RPM and the shielding for ground, single wire, nice n neat, and since it's DC and pulsed DC (i think that's what the tach outputs, I can verify if you're interested...<3 lab acces) you won't have interference issues.

You could always desolder the wire at the fan and run your own...off the top of my head 28 gauge should work...you could actually bundle them if you have something with dual conductor coax in it, use the black and red for RPM and the shielding for ground, single wire, nice n neat, and since it's DC and pulsed DC (i think that's what the tach outputs, I can verify if you're interested...<3 lab acces) you won't have interference issues.
Good ideas, thanks! I could also just splice in more wire. But I don't want to have to keep plugging and unplugging from the motherboard. That's why an extension sounds good. Also when I open up the case I usually remove the side and set it aside while I work on the system.

Looks like a very stout system there Owenator, well done. You're a man after my own heart too with the Panaflo fans.

Heh, I had six of the ultra high speed model push/pull once. It didn't last long and they're back to push only now. Even my ears have limits. :D

Good ideas, thanks! I could also just splice in more wire. But I don't want to have to keep plugging and unplugging from the motherboard. That's why an extension sounds good. Also when I open up the case I usually remove the side and set it aside while I work on the system.

Yea, but splicing doesn't look nearly as good, even when done by the best of them with good heatshrink.

Back