• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i get a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crapxxas119

I have dell dimension that i upgraded the graphics card to an ati radeon x1300 pro agp. It says that you need at least a 350 watt psu in the manual and i am using a 250 watt unit. I removed any device that is not being used including the floppy drive and some other pci cards, while keeping the cd drive powered up. After i did that i decided to upgrade the cpu to a 2.6 ghz p4 from a 1.6 ghz. And i added 256 mb of ram somewhere in between.

I have been experiencing no random shut offs or freezes, but should i still upgrade the psu, because i am not going to do any more upgrades because its maxed out to its best, and i did remove other devices to compensate for the new graphics card.

I have dell dimension that i upgraded the graphics card to an ati radeon x1300 pro agp. It says that you need at least a 350 watt psu in the manual and i am using a 250 watt unit. I removed any device that is not being used including the floppy drive and some other pci cards, while keeping the cd drive powered up. After i did that i decided to upgrade the cpu to a 2.6 ghz p4 from a 1.6 ghz. And i added 256 mb of ram somewhere in between.

I have been experiencing no random shut offs or freezes, but should i still upgrade the psu, because i am not going to do any more upgrades because its maxed out to its best, and i did remove other devices to compensate for the new graphics card.

I would reinstall what you removed one item (if you need them) at a time and see if it causes any issues. It it does, then upgrade your power supply. There are decent inexpensive 350W power supplies if you choose to upgrade or need to. We can find you one easily.

I dont know if the new one would fit in the case knowing that the dimension case is a 10 year old design...
And i dont need any of those removed pci cards. I just wanted to know if it would be beneficial to the processor performance because when i upgraded cpu the only strongly noticed difference was that on windows task manager my cpu isnt always running at 25-100%, instead i have about 5-10% without anything open.

I dont know if the new one would fit in the case knowing that the dimension case is a 10 year old design...
And i dont need any of those removed pci cards. I just wanted to know if it would be beneficial to the processor performance because when i upgraded cpu the only strongly noticed difference was that on windows task manager my cpu isnt always running at 25-100%, instead i have about 5-10% without anything open.

Then I would leave it alone. The power supply won't improve performance, it either runs your computer or it doesn't and it sounds like you have made the improvement you wanted.

Back