• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another is my MCP 350 dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charles1

Registered
Hi guys ok well if you been flling my threads you would know I just built a new system and W/C it by now.

My pump was working fine in the past with my old system. Back info on spider ITX:
The pump was just cooling the 4890 gpu that had a swiftech full gpu W/B and 1 Black Ice Extreme 120mm Rad and the pump had the xspc res top.
It never gave any issues or headaches.

Now my Babyship build had issues here is the loop:
Start from pump with res top--->120mm Rad--->Heatkiller 3.0 CPU W/B--->Res Top.

Now the first time i built it I was removing air bubbles and plugging and unplugging the power to remove bubbles. I finally got the loop free of bubbles and the system was working fine for 2 days until I turned it off for the first time while i went to frys to return my zalman cooler.

When I came home I freaked when I saw my temps go to 168F and climbing. I turned the system off and rebooted and same thing. I was oh now, so I opened the system and noticed that the pump was not turning on at all. I unplugged and plugged and had no luck. At first I thought the M/B header was fried since i was using the 3 pin to power it and read rpms. So i tried the 3pin to molex and nothing as well then figured it was the psu rail so i tried another rail and nothing still. By this time i was uber sad.

So i wrote a paper that said Babyship had a heart attack awaiting for transplant Stat! LOL

I watched a movie decided to give it a try and presto it worked again i was like wtf????????

then i unplugged it and it didnt work again, I was like huh????? so I then unplugged and it tried to start up and with a little luck it spum right up again and it was working. I unplugged it fromt he 4 pin molex and back to the 3 pin and it stuttered worked for a second and stopped. I was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. tried molex and nothing again did I finally brake it i thought to myself.

So searched the forums and one member said to tap the hell out of it so i did and it worked I was awesome it worked. So this is where I am right now, after tapping it i figured leave it on until my replacement comes and see if that one gives me better luck.

though I truly dont want to re assemble the loop.

thing that I noticed at first when it failed it was uber hot. figured it was thermal related though was proven wrong since it gave me issues when the pump was cold.

Then i realized it when i tapped it wouldnt work until i tapped hard enough and made the pump/res top lean forward a little bit and that did the trick.

So I left it tilted and shutdown and re started a couple times and it worked. Thats how I am typing this thread and like I said before I am just going to leave the pc on all the time until new pump gets here and I will go from there. If the new pump gives me same issues I am going to assume I have one to many 90 degree fittings and it might not like that. Specially the one that actually is attached on the outlet of the pump.

refer to pics for my set up.

Or culd it be that I have to much water on the res that it does not have enough room to expand or shrink when turning on and off? I notice when it 85-90% full i could see it drop levels when i turned the system on and return when the system was off.

When I built the new system i filled the res top to 97-98% literally a small bubble left on the top of the res top. Should I suck out some whater?

pump.jpg

How old is the pump? Maybe the sitting and draining while rebuilding did it. Did you remove the XSPC Restop?

Dunno..... Maybe wiggling the wires during the rebuild loosed a solder connection. Cold solder joint? Maybe bad connector?

yeah i tried wiggling the connectors while i was trying to get it to work and nothing only when I tap it hard or lean it forward does it come to life. Its about 1 year 3 months.

No i did not remove the xspc res top you kidding me it was a pain to do the wire management LOL I mean I will d it once the new pump comes in but that will be cuz i have to LOL.

Plus draining it will be a pita LOL

ok update well it seems tilting it a little bt forward has done the trick. i am going to assume there is a loosewire on the pump's pcs from the wire management.

in either case i think I will have a replacement in acouple fo days

once you get a replacement, do a couple things 1) try the bad one (heretoforht: it) with the stock top 2) open it up and check the connectors 3) try a fan on the same connection it was on and see how the fan does with the same power.

Back