• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon junk build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys.

For about 6/7 months now, i've had an IBM Xenon PC standing around.

The PC itself i found in a dumpster, along side my Core 2 Duo. When i found it, pretty much everything had been taken from it. CPU coolers, North bridge heatsink, ram, hdd's, gfx card. It easier to mention what it did have. Mainboard, cpu's, case, dvd drive and floppy drive.

Like i mentioned its been sitting around for about half a year (at least). Today i got bored, and firugred i'd do my best to make this rig run, without buying new CPU coolers (they are made specificly for these cpu's). So i opened up my junk box of parts from stripped pc's and found 2 cpu heatsinks, and with my luck, they both fitted.. Well they would be made to fit ;)

With a few hours of work, i got the machine together, booted, installed W7 and its running.

Now before i go into details on the build, i want to make sure EVERYONE understands this.
This pc, has NO value to me, it was free, and the parts used to make it work, just as free. I dont care if i kill it!

Right, onto what is in this pc.

Mainboard: IBM MS-9121
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon Prestonia 2,8Ghz
Ram: 2Gb Kingston (Cant remember more)
GPU: nVidia GeForce 6200
HDD: WesternDigital WD100 - 100Gb
Cooling:
2 x unknown CPU Heatsinks with 2x cpu fans
2x 80mm
1x 120mm
Unknown heatsink on northbridge

The CPU heatsinks are held down with zip ties.. For now at least.

Pictures:
DSCN2333_big_thumb.JPG

DSCN2334_big_thumb.JPG

Screenshot:
dt_big_thumb.jpg

All images in big:
http://peecee.dk/uploads/042011/DSCN2333.JPG
http://peecee.dk/uploads/042011/DSCN2334.JPG
http://peecee.dk/uploads/042011/dt.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoyed my work of bordom. I have absolutely no idea what i should use this rig for:shrug:

Last edited:
If the voltage reading in CPU-Z is anywhere near accurate, those CPUs are extremely overvolted.

just fyi, i may have a couple of 604 stock intel heatsinks in my drawer of stock coolers i don't use. i used to have a dual nocona xeon server (btw, xenon is a gas, xeon is the intel server lines of processors :p) i'll take a look when i get home and let you know. they'd just be wasting space for me. i'll pm you if i find them.

i used mine as a server and ran some virtual machines on it.

If the voltage reading in CPU-Z is anywhere near accurate, those CPUs are extremely overvolted.

I have no idea, everything is set to stock in Bios, since its IBM its pretty locked down, and cant change much in BIOS.

just fyi, i may have a couple of 604 stock intel heatsinks in my drawer of stock coolers i don't use. i used to have a dual nocona xeon server (btw, xenon is a gas, xeon is the intel server lines of processors :p) i'll take a look when i get home and let you know. they'd just be wasting space for me. i'll pm you if i find them.

i used mine as a server and ran some virtual machines on it.

Dont bother looking for them, would cost tomuch to send over :)

Got a Pentium 4 2,8ghz yes2day i can play with aswell now..

Firewall? Not into this sorta thing, more info on what and why?

File server i already got my Core 2 dou running for that purpose :)

It was basically, i was bored, had it, figured i'd try, and it worked :)

hah totally missed the whole denmark thing :D

too bad it has a basic ibm board. would be fun to try some extreme overclocking with those.

hah totally missed the whole denmark thing :D

too bad it has a basic ibm board. would be fun to try some extreme overclocking with those.

God yes! I always always always wanted to get a dual cpu pc when i was younger and playing with my AMD xp1600+ and Pentiuem 4 2,26. now i got one lol, but its about 8years too late.

But this 2,8Ghz is haunting me.

I bought my i7 2,8Ghz, them i found the Core 2 Duo 2,8ghz, and also this rig, dual xeon 2,8ghz, and now i just got given a Pentium 4 2,8ghz... Its a 2,8Ghz heaven in my 1room apartment lol.

I love it!

That vcore cannot be correct, they'd be frying rapidly. 2.5v hasn't been a valid vcore in a loooooooong time.

Last edited:
Back