• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia equivalent of Radeon HD 6850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prudens2011

Anyone know the nVidia equivalent of Radeon HD 6850? I need a card that supports CUDA... and sadly ATI doesn't.

Right now, the only NVIDIA card at that price point is the GTX460, which is last generation. For about $50 more then the 6850, you can get the GTX560Ti, which is the current generation. Both those NVIDIA cards are pretty amazing $/performance ratio though.

For the GTX460, make sure you get the 1GB version, and make sure it's NOT the SE verson.

There is no way GTX460 is an equivalent to HD6850 - although both cards are similar price/performance wise, GTX460 needs two 6 pin power adapters, where HD6850 needs one. Also HD6850 is a newer card. These essential differences make the cards to fall it totally different classes.

So basically HD6850 is pretty unique in the way, that nvidia does not have a card to match it's ergonomics.

Last edited:
There is no way GTX460 is an equivalent to HD6850 - although both cards are similar price/performance wise, GTX460 needs two 6 pin power adapters, where HD6850 needs one. Also HD6850 is a whole year generation newer card. These essential differences make the cards to fall it totally different classes.

So basically HD6850 is pretty unique in the way, that nvidia does not have a card to match it's ergonomics.

6850 > 460 it is faster stock and overclocks as well if not better, if your saving 30+ bucks on the 460 1Gb then maybe its worth it, but anything less your a sucker:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=313

For some reason Dirt 2 and civ the 460 is way better, so i guess if you play only those two games the 460 is the clear winner, for all else... 6850...

First, it appears the 460 came out just a few months prior to the 6850, not a year. I also dont understand the relevance of the power pins when all the guy wants is CUDA. LIke stunt mentioned his has 2x6 so.....?

Also, I dont believe the CUDA cores are any different as far as performance between the 4 and 5 series is there? If so, then grab a 550ti or 560ti if you can afford it.

I guess the OP needs to define equivalent. ;)

First, it appears the 460 came out just a few months prior to the 6850, not a year. I also dont understand the relevance of the power pins when all the guy wants is CUDA. LIke stunt mentioned his has 2x6 so.....?

Also, I dont believe the CUDA cores are any different as far as performance between the 4 and 5 series is there? If so, then grab a 550ti or 560ti if you can afford it.

I guess the OP needs to define equivalent. ;)

Correction: 3 months indeed. Anyway, HD6850 is indeed a single 6 pin design. That Sapphire is a huge exception, and a mistake by the developer and does not count!!! The OC version of Gigabyte, my friend owns, also has a single 6 pin design!!!

HD6850 power design, as i see, i 126W and GTX460 is 160W, so like i said - HD6850 is superior.

Correction: 3 months indeed. Anyway, HD6850 is indeed a single 6 pin design. That Sapphire is a huge exception, and a mistake by the developer and does not count!!! The OC version of Gigabyte, my friend owns, also has a single 6 pin design!!!

HD6850 power design, as i see, i 126W and GTX460 is 160W, so like i said - HD6850 is superior.
The 6850 is better, but your logic is really weird my friend.... I would never choose a GPU or CPU or memory because it uses 34 less Watts or .1 less volt, or has 1 less power connection, I'd buy it because it produces better graphics... and generally speaking the 6850 will produce better graphics than the 460 1Mb

HD6850 is a great card, for those who have, let's say, a crossfire motherboard and a modular, 550 W or greater power supply with two 6 pin cables - that way one saves money on power supply and makes crossfire. That is whole marketing strategy, since HD6850 was to replace HD5770 - did it successfully.

Well now that an MOD PM-ed me (and I know) once he gets access to classifieds he can look in there or maybe troll ebay website for a deal.

Retail price is pretty up there right now unless he scores a deal on newegg with a coupon

I would suggest a gtx 560 if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Back