• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Myststix Paint Project #3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myststix

Disabled
Ok so I decided to paint a beat up Toshiba dual-core Laptop I found for $10.

Palmrest area had bad cig burn marks for I decided to redo it.
I learned a few things than a "how-to" guide wouldn't really show you..

such as...

1. It's not as hard to disassemble a laptop as you'd think. Try it.

2. Use the correct primer. For me, that should have been *sandable* primer, which I had previously used, but didn't this time. I used regular primer, which left the surface too rough for high-polish.

3. Use a paint box. It will stop annoying bit of dust from settling into your paint. A large cardboard box, with a filtered fan pushing air out, creating positive pressure, will do. Ducting the fan will give a low-flow in the box, allow evening drying.

4. Use the correct paint, glossy will give that nice hard shine finish everyone wants.

5. Paint, allow 10-20 min to dry, sand with 2000 grit sandpaper, repeat at least 4-5, even more coats if you wish. The more coats the deeper and smoother the finish, generally. Remember paint makes stuff thicker!

6. Consider allowing stuff to hang upside down while it dries (painted side down) No dust!

7. Be prepared to put in the elbow grease to get that "hard shine" everyone likes.

8. Forgot about using a dremel, they don't work. You would need a regular buffer to get good results.

9. Wet sand if at all possible. Leaves a gleaming smooth finish.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Last edited:
Sounds good, but unless you using an automotive paint with a lot of hardener, you'll need to wait longer than 10-15 minutes after painting to wet sand that paint. It may be dry to the touch in that amount of time, but it's still too tacky to sand.

2000 grit for wet sanding in between coats is a bit too fine, you can back that off to about 800 and save the 2000 for finish work after clear coat wish you never mentioned.

By automotive paint I do trust you know he is talking about paint that you would get from an automotive paint and finish supply shop and not automotive spray paint.

You should probably wait at least 45min maybe an hour before you start sanding between coats. If you use thin light coats you can probably do it about 20 to 30 min after.

IMO, auto paints are not needed for a great finish. If you take your time you can get comparable finishes from rattle cans. The most important part of a paint job is the prep work. Starting out with a nice clean surface will give far better results much faster than just throwing paint at it and trying to polish and buff it out.

A buffer is not needed for something like a computer case. For finishing use 400 800 1000 1200 1500 followed by a good buffing compound should give a good finish. I also usually wait at least a few days, preferably a week, after painting before doing the polishing.

Oh, and when working on flat surfaces use a sanding bloock as much as possible.

Back