• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOWTO overclock your i7-2600k on a P8P67 (w/pictures)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbohans

A lot of people seem to be buying these boards and asking how to overclock them, so I decided to make a small guide specific to this board. This guide will show you how to overclock your i7-2600k on a P8P67 motherboard.

(note) Variables such as max multi and voltage are avalable elsewhere in this forum, this guide is intended only as a start for people with no experience with this board and cpu. From what I have gathered 1.35v is the max you would want to set this cpu to run at 24/7. one way to start out is to set it to lets say 45x100 and leave the cpu voltage at auto, boot up and run intelburntest to see what cpuz says the "core voltage" is. Then reboot and set the cpu voltage to what cpuz reported. if that is your desired speed and the voltage cpuz reported on auto is more than 1.35v then incrementally bump down in bios from your manual setting and stresstest, repeat the earlier untill you reach your desired 'safe' voltage or reach instability. If you reach instability either bump the voltage up from the last setting and call it good or consider a lower overclock.

002-1.jpg
Reboot/startup machine and press "delete" or "del" repeatedly untill you see the next screen
004.jpg
007-1.jpg
008-3.jpg
009-3.jpg
016.jpg
Oops, repeat "#1" (click on "ai tweaker" tab) here and then scroll down. (i'll fix pic later)
011-2.jpg

Last edited:
This looks to be about perfect for me. You've answered one big question.

Next question: What is a 100% safe speed for a 2500k with stock cooling? What about with your basic tower heatpipe cooler?
Followup question: My ram is running at 1333. Is there a way to get it up to the rated 1600 and OC the cpu instead of changing the multiplier?

I just finished building a system for my little sister to do for video editing and would like to find a good way to get her a bit extra performance for her renders. She's going to be across the country though, so I don't want to have to explain to her how to change things if the OC winds up being too much.

edit: this is the board I got for her:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711&cm_re=p8h67-_-13-131-711-_-Product

Aww, hell, here's the build, more or less. We wound up skipping the second drive and getting a revo drive for her scratch disk.
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7087/buildo.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks man! I was bored.

This looks to be about perfect for me. You've answered one big question.

Next question: What is a 100% safe speed for a 2500k with stock cooling? What about with your basic tower heatpipe cooler?
Followup question: My ram is running at 1333. Is there a way to get it up to the rated 1600 and OC the cpu instead of changing the multiplier?

I just finished building a system for my little sister to do for video editing and would like to find a good way to get her a bit extra performance for her renders. She's going to be across the country though, so I don't want to have to explain to her how to change things if the OC winds up being too much.

edit: this is the board I got for her:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711&cm_re=p8h67-_-13-131-711-_-Product

Aww, hell, here's the build, more or less. We wound up skipping the second drive and getting a revo drive for her scratch disk.
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7087/buildo.jpg

I might put an addition to this up later for setting the ram. But yes, you should be able to select 1600mhz as the "desired ram speed" but you will want to set the timings manually to do that...
As far as a safe overclock on a 2500k or 2600k, I would sugest to keep your core temps under 70c (@ 100% load) and voltages above 1.35v leave me worried because NO Intel processor I have ever had would do those as cool as these do. 1.4v+ use to be considered "suicide mode" before these puppies! LOL

As far as just overclocking with the Bclock you will find that 103.0 mhz is even pushing it, therefore it is better to overclock with the multiplyer and fine tune with the Bclock.

Last edited:
I'm messing with this system now and am having a hell of a time.

First off, as soon as I set the RAM speed to 1600Mhz (and set the voltage and timings according to what it's rated for), the system fails to boot and that Mem OK light turns on.

Second off, my 2500k doesn't seem to be able to set the multiplier beyond 33, which is the default multiplier. What gives?

As previously mentioned, I'm using the P8H67M-Pro/CSM. the BIOS stuff looks to be the same as the p8p67.

Hmm...it looks like I simply won't be able to do it because I picked up an H67 motherboard.

That kinda sucks. I could have saved a few bucks and got a regular 2500, or spent a few extra bucks and got the P67. Guess I should have done a bit more research before picking out the lowest price mATX asus board I could find.

I'm sorry to bring up an old thread, but all the information I need is in this tread and I just got this mobo/cpu combo. One question I have is is it wise to turn off all those features to run max speed at 0% load? It's the 6th picture. I'm running a water cooler on my CPU and my temps are fine with these disabled, but I was just curious if I should disable them or leave them?

Back