• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD4870X2 not working on Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

On Gigabyte EP45-EXTREME to be exact. I've got my hands on HD4870X2, since i wanted to test it against the HD6950, which benchmarks i recently did. But monitor would not show anything. Fortunately the card works in my AMD 790XT board..

This is not supposed to be like this anyway... The power supply on that P45 was even stronger than the one in my own PC..

Hmm, faulty power coming through into the video card? Are you sure it is fully in the socket? I had no issues at all with my 4870x2 before I sold it a couple months ago with my rig in the sig.

Hmm, faulty power coming through into the video card? Are you sure it is fully in the socket? I had no issues at all with my 4870x2 before I sold it a couple months ago with my rig in the sig.

Of course it was tight. I "checked connecting" from different DVI ports to monitor. Reinstalled the VGA and restarted PC - checked again. I even checked with different rails - one 12V rail with 25A current for one 6 pin slot and other 12V rail with 25A current for other 8 pin slot. So 50 Ampers would do more than enough for a single card. Usually i connect a dual 6 pin VGA with just one 12V rail, that has a 25A current, and that's enough, since that is already 300 W, but this time even double power of 600 W did not help. Whatever.. At least it works where it supposed to work - in AMD Dragon platform..

I had a similiar problem with my old Abit x38 Quad-GT board, it turned out that the motherboards bios was incompatible with the 4870x2... had to find out which bios was compatible and flash it...

Have you tried the card in another PCI-E slot?

You need to check for a newer bios for that MB cause I seriously doubt if that Intel chip set is compatible with that dual GPU AMD Video card

That must be the problem then. Though the motherboard bios, which is the latest, is from 2009 and the video card is from 2008, so that is strange, that it does not work.

That must be the problem then. Though the motherboard bios, which is the latest, is from 2009 and the video card is from 2008, so that is strange, that it does not work.

Yup, again i had the same problem... i think it was bios number 13 for me that worked, 14,15 and 16 did not... or something to that effect... I can't remember the numbers exactly but you get the idea...

I seriously doubt if that Intel chip set is compatible with that dual GPU AMD Video card

The Intel P45 chipset is absolutely compatible with these cards. It's one of the main chipsets people used for these cards back when they were new. I've personally used both my cards with two seperate P45 motherboards, an Asus P5Q-Pro and my Current Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.

That isn't to say it's not a bios issue, but even that I find unlikely.

Back