• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU or CPU bottlenecking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKessell

R3FoD.png

Those are my validated CPU-Z stats.

What do you think would bottleneck my system in regards to better fps, the CPU or the GPU?

One little note, the CPU has been stable overclocked from 3.2ghz stock to 4.0ghz stock.

Thanks gentlemen! :clap::clap:

Yeah? Interesting. I don't know if I can OC it much higher than 4.0ghz. Although I am sitting at 27C idle and only ~52C after ~12 hours of Prime95.

Woops I was wrong my idle is 25C and max is 49C under 12 hours of Prime95. What makes you say the CPU would be bottlenecking the FPS? I know I have some room on this GPU to OC it but I'm not sure if it's honestly even worth it.

I wouldnt go over 55C so you are about at your limit. Temps are on par for the clockspeed really. EDIT: You are at 49C so a couple degree headroom.

A 4Ghz AMD isnt bottlenecking anything except SLI/Crossfire. I would look at the GPU.

Where are you experiencing or THINK you are experiencing a bottleneck? What resolution do you play games at is a VERY important question. If its a low res, like 1280x1024 then more CPU would probably help. If its 1920x1080 I would look at the GPU. What is the problem here I dont get WHAT is bottlenecking?

I'm currently at 1680x1050 resolution.

Nothing is showing me an indefinite bottleneck I was just curious as to what would be limiting my FPS in video games the CPU or the GPU?

The reason why I asked is I wanted to know if I could eek out some more FPS by just altering some settings rather than getting a new product.

at that resolution ur are good to go! I would think maybe tri screen or 30inch monitor would push the cpu and gpu way more

at that resolution ur are good to go! I would think maybe tri screen or 30inch monitor would push the cpu and gpu way more
???

Anyway 1680x1050 is a mediocre resolution needing both. Overclock you gpu to eek out another fps or two. I can imagine what that card can't play at that res as I use one at 1920x1080 and it plays everything just fine at that more stressful res.

Why OC though on that resolution...I would imagine with the CPU OC and the GPU at default and at that resulution he can still play games max/high res.

The extra 2 fps is braggin rights and I do not think he would notice.

my 2 cents

Must be an echo in here...:)

Though the higher the res, the more the video card matters really.

So your 1920x1080 FPS is pretty decent? I feel like I'm running really excellent with high aliasing and etc on 1680x1050 but I was hesitant to move up to 1080 if it was going to result in FPS losses.

Yes. Im fine at my res. Bfbc2, cod:bo, and dirt2 I run higest settings and with at least 4x aa. You tend to need less aa the higher the res. I think cod is he only one I run 4x.

You seemed to be consumed with more fps. While that's not a problem here if course, keep in mind that as long as its playable to you it doesn't matter if its 30 or 50 fps.

Yes. Im fine at my res. Bfbc2, cod:bo, and dirt2 I run higest settings and with at least 4x aa. You tend to need less aa the higher the res. I think cod is he only one I run 4x.

You seemed to be consumed with more fps. While that's not a problem here if course, keep in mind that as long as its playable to you it doesn't matter if its 30 or 50 fps.

No difference between 30 or 50 fps? OK sweet :clap::clap:

Back