• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu 11.04 doesn't work. At all.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have bumps in mythbuntu 11.04

In fact it dumped my raid 5 array to the point that it cant find the super blocks after 12 hours of trying. I may update as time goes on. I may roll back to 10.10 for that as well.

Its odd because as it got closer to release it seems to have gotten more bumpy. I have been running mythbuntu 11.04 since alpha one and the updates seem to have broken more than they fixed

I tried installing 11.04 on a virtual but never managed to reach the desktop. Being adventourous I just updated from 10.10 on my work machine (this computer) a moment ago, and everything seems to work ok till now. The upgrade took 15 minutes.

I remember running 10.10 beta before release and just days before launch I was having daily crashes all over the place. They managed to fix things up pretty quickly and a week after launch everything worked smooth.

Can't really comment on Unity yet, but I like it more then I thought I would...

I also have no gripes about Unity, its very short-cut oriented. I posted up a list of keyboard shortcuts in one of my other posts about Unity if anyone is interested

Well I've been using this for a day now. I only have one big complaint regarding Unity, and that's moving the window management icons (close, minimize, maximize) off the window to the top bar. Somehow I feel they should be contained in the window. Other then that I think this is a big step in the right direction (yeah it needs some polishing here and there). Finally something pretty different on the Linux side, great that somebody had the balls to do it.

openSuse 11.4 just came out not too long ago, it's pretty robust and I got it working on the world's saddest first generation Macbook, if it works there it should work anywhere. However it's slackware based and not debian based, so you might have some culture shock. The openSuse forums are incredibly helpful though.

I'M not missing a menu. 11.04 is. The menu system in 11.04 is worse than useless. It's nothing but a massive headache. It's sad actually.

..this I've gotta see, what menu is it missing? I'm gounna install it on my HTPC tomorrow and take a look around.

They've moved the user and system settings to a combined "Windows" like menu which can be found from the button you use to shut down the computer. The applications menu's have been moved under the Ubuntu icon on the launchh bar.

IMO it's cleaner like this, I never understood why there had to be two menu's (for user and system settings) with so similar but still disorganised entries.

What is a bit more confusing on the new gui is the Applications menu. Only part of the categories will be visible from the top level, and once you select one changing to another is again another flow. IMO it's not very well thought out.

On the other hand the quick search works very well, the only time I've gone inside the menu to look at the structure has been when feeding my curiosity to see how it works. It's the same as OSX, I have not actually opened the applications menu for years, just use spotlight to search for the app I want to open (spotlight still works better though).

They've moved the user and system settings to a combined "Windows" like menu which can be found from the button you use to shut down the computer. The applications menu's have been moved under the Ubuntu icon on the launchh bar.

IMO it's cleaner like this, I never understood why there had to be two menu's (for user and system settings) with so similar but still disorganized entries.
I like this way as well, I could never remember what was under "Administration" and what was under "Preferences" It did take me a while to find it here though...It was the last place I looked.:-/

I hate the new menu system. The menu system in gnome 2.x is a little disorganized and redundant but I still prefer it. But the new menu in gnome 3 is awesome. Better than unity and gnome 2.x IMO. Although gnome 3 itself bothers me.

Back