• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Freezing/Crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigTerminator

Heres my problem:

When I go to play Bad Company 2 online, about 30 minutes into gameplay it will crash/freeze my whole computer, forcing me to hold the power button for 5 seconds. Keyboard won't work and I can't even restart the system. Only options is a power off. and it will make a huge noise that's constant when it crashes until I turn it off.

You might think my overclocks are unstable but they are 100% stable on every component and I've even played it completely stock and it stills crashes. I have read on other forums that most people concur that it's some sound card issue. I have tried the latest drivers, even rolled back to older drivers, but Bad Company 2 still crashes.

When I play single player it seems to not crash at all which is just strange. I had Bad Company 2 which worked fine with my 5770 and my 6970, it's only till I had to reinstall Windows that I get these crashes. Everything is up to date on drivers, I have all the Windows Update to.

I'd really like to hear a solution and not just blame towards my computer or my overclocks. I'm not the only one that's been having these issues so hopefull one of you guys can help.

Thank You :clap:

It is a problem with punkbuster (I've been running into the same thing and figured it out).

PB doesn't like windows-based overclocking applications (or ones that put data on your screen) it finds them as hacks. So I've had to disable Rivatuner/Afterburner/EasyTune 6. If you have anything that isn't a standard application for the driver (CCC for ATI, for example) disable it (close it). Should work afterwards.

Actually...just because your overclock is stable in whatever you use to test it, does not necessarily mean it will play nice with every game out there.

Janus67- Thanks for the tip. I actually have been running with the MSI Afterburner OSD and FRAPS. Do you think the OSD and/or FRAPS is at fault? I'll definitely try your suggestion. But wouldn't PunkBuster just kick you out? I'm getting freezing that requires a hard shut off. PunkBuster usually just kicks you out of the server.

Stevelord- My overclocks are 100% stable. The freezing isn't GFX related. It's completely stable in Single Player and every other game I play. I even played it at stock speeds and it still crashed during Multiplayer.

With afterburner it would freeze the game. With my easytune6 I would get a bsod of 'uncorrectable hardware error', once I disabled all of them I haven't had the issue.

I reinstalled the game and turned off the programs but Bad Company still crashes. It's ashame considering how much better it is than Call of Duty.

99% of people with the same problem as me has said that it's due to the Realtek Sound card. The onboard sound found on most motherboards. I hwas using it so I switched to an Audigy 2 Value Sound Card and still got the same crashes after disabling Realtek Onboard Sound. Any more suggestions?

You could try the game on a non-PB enabled server.

I know my issue was Afterburner. I have a realtek onboard sound card and disabling afterburner is the only action I need to take in order to stop crashes.

Yes PB is completely up to date to the latest and the PC is 100% stable at overclocked settings and yes I've tried it at stock. This is what happens
except the screen doesn't go black.

I have that game and use Audigy sound blaster with 570 GTX.

Maybe you have another PC you could switch video cards.

I was playing for a long time with my 5770 and it worked great. BUT I also had it playing great for a good time with my 6970. It started happening after I installed windows but I am not going to reinstall it again, plus other people have the same issue as me, it's not my Computers fault, it's the game. Why would it play fine for 10 minutes then for no reason crash. It's not temps or unstable overclocks. There must be something that's conflicting with the game. Any solutions?

I play with an Audigy 2 and have never had severe crashing. Somewhat common back at retail and nowadays its just once in a blue moon.

I had the same crashing issue after 10-15 minutes of gameplay and after reinstalling the game, disabling on-board sound and installing a X-Fi sound card and manually updating PB, I figured out that my MSI Afterburner was causing my crashes due to a conflict with PB. I quit using it and have not had any crashes since. People report that using Trixx will also cause the lock-ups. I use CCC only now and RadeonPro for fps monitoring in BFBC2 and have no more crashing.

Last edited:
Thank you bda1967. I have actually seen that suggestion in some other random forums but I thought it was really stupid. I mean why in hell should punk buster freeze my whole computer because of Afterburner? Well I saw your post so I was like what the hell. So I turned it off a what do you know, I was playing for an hour uninterrupted. I mean I was thinking about reinstalling windows. Thank You!!!!!

Thank you bda1967. I have actually seen that suggestion in some other random forums but I thought it was really stupid. I mean why in hell should punk buster freeze my whole computer because of Afterburner? Well I saw your post so I was like what the hell. So I turned it off a what do you know, I was playing for an hour uninterrupted. I mean I was thinking about reinstalling windows. Thank You!!!!!

So you mean exactly what I responded with in the first reply of this thread? ;)

Me said:
It is a problem with punkbuster (I've been running into the same thing and figured it out).

PB doesn't like windows-based overclocking applications (or ones that put data on your screen) it finds them as hacks. So I've had to disable Rivatuner/Afterburner/EasyTune 6. If you have anything that isn't a standard application for the driver (CCC for ATI, for example) disable it (close it). Should work afterwards.

^LOL ok Thank You to :) To be fair bda1967 reminded me to do it again. Hahahahahahahaha Well I've been playing for hours and no crash, I'm so happy cause now I don't have to play Call of Duty.

You're welcome. Even though Janus67 covered it first.:D

Back