• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Truepower Trio 550 - Fan Never Turns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psb962

Registered
I noticed that my 550W psu fan is stopped. Thinking back over the years I've owned it, I have only ever heard it start up once, on a very hot day. My case doesnt have a lot of power hungry stuff in it so maybe it never gets hot enough to turn the fan on...

Do other Trio owners have the same experience or is mine bust?

It may depend on what(or if you) you have the sensor hooked up to. I had a 300w Antec that seemed to do the same, but when I noticed and unplugged the sensor from the mobo, it ran pretty much as a normal fan.

I tried that as it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately my fan is still unmoving.

well since you dont know if it ever moved you would have to open up the PSU but I dont recommend it unless you know what your doing and you may have to cut the wires to the fan because depending on the manufacturer there soldered straight to the PCB.

Also the oil for the bearings could have dried up as well and just seized and need to be re oiled but usually if that is starting to happen you will get a whining noise coming from the fan till it just stops.

But again I still don't recommend doing that unless you know what your doing.

I'm pretty sure the fan does nothing until the psu gets pretty hot. These are 'energy efficient' psus and the heat coming off them is hardly noticeable. For peace of mind I'm looking for another owner who can confirm that theirs does the same. I have no plans to open it up.

I filed a ticket with Antec and they gave me an RMA number, saying the fan should spin. I'm glad this has a 5 year warranty as I bought it in 2007!

Antec has great RMA service. I shipped it to them and the replacement left their depot the day after my unit arrived. They sent me a new 'Truepower New 550' as a replacement for my Truepower Trio 550, so I 'm very happy with that.

Hope it lasts another 4 years..

Back