• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ground wire on laptop LCDs??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I've been wondering what it's for, for a while now. Lets use the Dell D600 for example... there's a single cable going from the panel and inverter to the motherboard. Then, there's a little ground wire with a screw on it that screws into the NB/GPU heatsink. It's a ground, I get that... But when testing screens, I don't screw it in. Sometimes I've even had cables that had the ground cut off because the screw became stripped in the heatsink... Everything still works though, and I sell it like that, no complaints.

It works perfectly without using the ground... So why have it? Starting with the D620 it's either incorporated into the main connector or something, because it doesn't have it anymore.

It'll be nice to put this question to rest. :)

probably to prevent the person using the laptop from getting shocked, i remember when i had a wet body or feet, or even humidity i used to get electric shock from crt monitor, lcd may be the same

It's a ground for the inverter/lamp. If moisture causes the two to bridge, it could fry something. Chances of it are slim, but it's still possible.

All grounds are so if there is ever a short, you're not the one getting blown up.

Electricity is like running water and it will flow down the easiest path. All ground wires in every application make it so that you are not that path and instead will flow through the ground.

like stated, its a safety precaution... rather than have a static discharge go through w/e circuit board's ground's it will go through a main ground and not mess with the circuit board.

Back