• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Phenom II x4 980 Black Edition Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because you tend to get farther for SuperPi (single-threaded benchmark) and CPUz with two cores disabled.

Wait...wat?

You're not seriously praising a chip that can SuperPi 1m in 15.08s, are you?

My air-cooled E8500 at 4.5Ghz has been able to run 10.1s for the last TWO YEARS! :bang head

Nope, not priaising the chip for doing that; just the clock speeds at which it did it. See the section above regarding SuperPi:

Ahh single-threaded SuperPi, AMD’s nemesis since Core2 CPUs. While they perform very well with multi-threaded loads, AMD just doesn’t have ‘it’ for SuperPi.

Were I to praise a chip for SP1M results on ambient cooling rather than just the clocks at which it completes the bench, it would probably be one that does less than 6.7 seconds.

Okay, fair enough. I might have read too much into what you wrote. Still, as i'm sure you're all too aware, clock speed alone doesn't count for much if it's being outperformed by a three year old part clocked 200Mhz lower.

Very nice SP1M, by the way. 5.5Ghz isn't half bad, either :)

Okay, fair enough. I might have read too much into what you wrote. Still, as i'm sure you're all too aware, clock speed alone doesn't count for much if it's being outperformed by a three year old part clocked 200Mhz lower.

Very nice SP1M, by the way. 5.5Ghz isn't half bad, either :)
Even five years ago (before C2D) when every Intel in sight was being kicked to the curb by the AMD Opteron the AMD's still didn't run SuperPi as fast as the Intels did. You can't judge a CPU but it's performance in one benchmark unless that's the only thing you're going to do with it. ;)

No, i didn't mean to imply that i was. It was the only benchmark that i remembered my result for off the top of my head.

I believe my vantage score is around 18,500 with a 5870, but without knowing the exact score, i can't comment on it.

Back