• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair AX1200 or Antec HCP-1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good choice, they don't have a good quality check but they have a GREAT customer service.
They are sending me a new one (because of the fan whirling problem)

You can't go wrong with either. Seasonic v/s Delta. It is a toss up between those two units. The Antec should easily outlast its warranty. There are no compelling technical reasons (that I know of) to prefer one over the other.

I know this thread is old but the Corsair gets my nod. Its looks very nice and the cables are pretty long. Plus the Corsair uses black wires so you dont see multicolored wires through the sleeving/end of cables. The way they make their cables flat should also help with cable management plus its fully modular. Corsair products are usually top of the line.

About 1000 W.. but I strongly suggest to get a 1200 to have a good margin for overclocking and stability.

Good choice, they don't have a good quality check but they have a GREAT customer service.

For the record two 580's wont come anywhere close to using 1000w lol. 500w max if not overclocked, and the rest of his system would maybe use another 200w. Every company has a few duds that fall through the cracks so I wouldnt say Corsair of all companies doesnt have good quality assurance. Corsair is known for quality products.

580s non-OCd are around 250w each, figure another 100-150 for the cpu at stock and a 1kw unit is more than enough.
So much as breath on the 580s voltage slider and it is another story entirely!

With extreme cooling and voltmods a single GTX580 has been measured at 700w.

The lights in my house dimmed when I hit 3d loads with 2x gtx580+980x all OC'd, they eat a lot of juice when you start moving the voltage up.

Also, you do realize that you necro'd a thread that you had the last post in, and that post was a necro itself?

Story time! Rewind to May 2010, I've grown tired of crap OEM PCs the extent of my hardware experience was changing ram in 2007 (thanks to crucials ram configurator), I decided to upgrade my PC.
In 2007 I met a guy in school who talked about how he built PCs and Repaired them for a living at a computer store and said if you ever wanna upgrade or build a PC talk to me ill do it for free you just provide the parts. I decided to take him up on that offer and had been talking to him again since 2009.

So I tell my friend I want to upgrade my Vista 64 Ultimate OEM HP Pavillion Media Center PC with a HIS 4870 ICE-Q Edition from newegg for 79.99.

I asked him if it was compatible (remember this is before I met you fine folks!) he said

"No because the power supply was to weak."

I said "I'll upgrade that too"

he said, "No, it wont work because normal power supplies wont fit in there because the retaining screw positions are non standard",

I replied "OK, I'll get a cheap case and swap out the main parts and get the new psu and 4870 and put them in there!"

He replied " No that wont work because the motherboard has nonstanard mounting holes".

so i replied with "Eff it, ill start from scratch."

Now mind you all of the above was lies, he looked up my computer it clearly states under the spec its ATX standard parts. You can see it all here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...foCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3423004

So the question here is why would he lie about this?
Well here's what I didn't know, his own computer happened to have a standard Sapphire 4870 in it. He also is the really jealous type with a large ego to boot.

His goal was to make me choose a weaker card but didnt suggest it, he just wanted to make it prohibitively expensive to use that 4870 as you could tell by him shooting down each Idea, all of which would've worked just fine.

He knew i had no clue about hardware so he figured he could get away with it, he was right but he didnt count on the results of it lol.

So I didnt know about his nature when got all my parts and i had him build my computer, I didnt know very much about computers , i just knew how to use them well enough.He was also the one that recommended me that crappy "1200" watt power supply i was looking to replace when i made this thread.

You all saw how that turned out in the pics posted earlier in this thread (check those out). (hopefully this is coherent, Im no master novelist!)

It thankfully all turned out fine thanks to you guys here, and I learned to build!

:grouphug:All Thanks to You Guys!:grouphug:

the other bad thing ive read about the corsair (and it was echoed in the reviews on newegg) was it making a screeching noise or a whining noise i did some digging and apparently it has something to do with the following features enabled C1E, speedstep or Turbo Boost/Core.
That generally happens due to the PSU "period skipping" at light load in order to improve efficiency. There's nothing you can realistically do about it other than buying a different PSU. (Do note that some voltage regulators can do the same thing, so it might not be the PSU.) I don't for sure but Corsair has a version of that PSU with DSP control, which might "dither" the period skipping and/or constrain it to above audio frequencies.

For the technical minded, the reason why modern PSUs period skip (or do something equivalent) at light load is because they use high frequencies to increase power density, but high frequency leads to poor efficiency at low loads. (High frequency = high core losses and high switching losses. Also, very low duty cycles worsen the switching loss problem.) The solution often used is to switch the transistors on for twice the "conventional" duty cycle in one switching period, followed by another period at 0% duty cycle, essentially "skipping" the period. (The actual numbers vary based on many conditions, it could very well be 3 times the duty cycle followed by two skipped periods or even fractional values.) And unlike turning down the PWM oscillator frequency (which brings a whole lot of issues), the controller can stop skipping periods when it needs to in order to respond to a sudden increase in load.

I couldnt be happier with my antec hcp-1200 absolutely noiseless the standard fans that come with the xigmatek are louder althought all of that doesnt really matter as much now because I have an Asus Xonar Phoebus and a Razer Tiamat 7.1 so I cant hear that stuff even when there is no sound playing. I highly recommend both of those items, idiots gave them bad reviews because they had no clue what they were doing.

Not only that, but people don't generally leave good reviews if the unit does what it's supposed to. So you end up with a bias of negative reviews because as soon as something goes wrong, they feel compelled to leave one.

Back