• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Accelero Extreme Plus Review on a 6970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigTerminator

I just recently bought an Arctic Accelero Extreme Plus and would like to make a little review and share my experiences with this cooler. The reason I purchased this cooler was mainly because of the short falls of the reference cooler. The stock cooler was loud and hot. Even when playing videos it would get to 60c and idle temps were around 50c. That for me was just unacceptable.

Installation is fairly easy. All you need is to put of drop of the thermal glue on the memory chips and voltage regulators. Set the heatsinks and let them dry for at least an hour. After that it should be rock solid. The heatsink come pre applied with Arctic MX-4 and all you need to do is install 4 screws with the washers and the heatsink should be on really tight. For the 6970, the back plate won't be able to screw on because of the lack anything to screw to, so I just used 4 zipties on each corner of the back plate to hold it in place.

Arctic Cooler TIM install.jpg

Chip Heatsinks Install.jpg

Arctic Accelero Installed.jpg

Now here come the results. The test system is in my signature and room temps were around 22c. The stock 6970 cooler I used had Prolimatech TIM on the GPU. My HAF X has a GPU air duct equipped with a 120mm fan blowing directly at the fan. And at the back of the card, the rear vent was cut through to allow maximum heat to exit the card.
6970 Holed out exhausts.jpg
The card is an unlocked 6950 running at 1.2v at 925mhz/1450mhz.

Here are the stock coolers results:

Here you can see how outrageous the idle temps are, especially considering all the steps I took to keep the temps as low as possible.

50c Idle Temps resized.jpg
Here is me playing about 10 minutes of video and you'll see how the temps jump to 61c, just playing videos.

61c Video temps 50% sized.jpg
Now here is where it really counts, the LOAD tests. For this test I took the fan speed all the way up to 50% fan speed and ran Komustor for about 15 minutes. Now don't get me wrong, 73c isn't that hot, but at 50% fan speed, the 6970 sounds like a rocket taking off. Even playing with speakers turned up, it's unbearable.

50% Fan Speed 73c Kombustor 40% resized.jpg

Here is the more sane test. I used a custom fan profile that optimized lower sound but keeping temps within reason. Here the fan was around 42-45% which was much quieter but still very noticeably louder than my case fans. Here the temps jumped to 76-77c. You could lay off the fan speed more but then you'd be getting into around the 80's and I don't want that for my GPU.
Custom Fan profile 77c kombustor 40% resized.jpg

Now let's see how the Arctic Accelero Extreme fared against the stock 6970 cooler.

At idle, the temps significantly drop to around 35c, that's a 15c drop.
Arctic Accelero Idle temp 35c.jpg

Here is where this cooler shines, the load tests. At 100% load with an overvolted overclock, I achieved a load temp of 56c. That's an astonishing 20c difference, and unlike the 6970 stock cooler which was extremely loud and obnoxious, this cooler wasn't louder than my case fans.
55c 50% fan speed accelero.jpg

At 100% fan speed this cooler is as about as loud as my 6970 at 30% fan speed. Temps even dropped to 50c for load which is just extremely astonishing.

So all in all this cooler kick some serious ***. It's inaudible in my case and drags water cooling to its knees. I paid about $70 total for the cooler AND VRM kit. The only cons of this cooler is the fact that it make an 11" graphics card 13", it dumps all the heat in the case making your CPU and Motherboard hotter, but with a really good case like the HAF-X, that shouldn't be a problem. Also it occupies 3 slots on your Motherboard. Remember it requires you to buy a separate VRM kit which comes in different flavors for every high end card on the market today. Go to Arctic Cooling's website for further compatibility info. I hope this review clears up a lot of things about this cooler because there has been a lot of negative things posted about this cooler. Many people forget to buy the VRM kit so they give this cooler a bad review. And some people don't like the VRM heatsinks they do include. I so far haven't had any problems and would definitely recommend it for any high end card on the market, like the 6970, 6950 or GTX 570, 580. This cooler is overkill for any card that isn't extremely high end. I've seen people buy this for the GTX 560 Ti and even GTX 460. If you want a midrange cooler get the Accelero Twin Turbo. With this cooler I hope I can squeeze about 1ghz out of my GPU so wish me luck :salute:

Very nice, that is some impressive changes between the stock and aftermarket. My GPU gets to about 60C under load with stock (I keep my voltage at 1150mv though and 900/1400).

What's your fan speed? Because there is no way they you are getting 60c with that cooler being quiet. With the stock cooler, it would get to 60c just playing video for me :)

Very nice thread; glad you like the cooler. I have one that came on a Sparkle GTX580 and it is one stellar cooling solution.

What's your fan speed? Because there is no way they you are getting 60c with that cooler being quiet. With the stock cooler, it would get to 60c just playing video for me :)

I have it set in MSI-AB for about a 1deg-1% difference, so it levels out at around 60-65deg/% while playing games, absolute highest I have seen is around 70degrees. But of course it is quite loud, but during the day I have a decent Klipsch speaker system and and night I have headphones, neither has distracted me.

be glad... my 6970 idles at 65c lol oc'd to 930-1450 with 2 monitors it is a bit cooler with one monitor. i was looking at the same cooler havent decided if i wanna add my card to my loop (100+ dollars) or get that i think its like 80? on the egg... decisions decisions :p

why not the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II ?:D

The AXP I & II are largely identical. The key differences between the AXP and AXP II are included mounting hardware (AXP I is cooler-only) and the II has slightly more clearance for stacked DVI ports. The AXP I is kinda a tight fit near the DVI ports. The heatpipes and fin-count are the same between them.

why not the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II ?:D

At the time I bought the cooler there wasn't an Extreme Plus II. Plus it is the same as mentioned. The cooling performance is the same. You do get better chipset paste and the heatsinks are included. My load temps never go past 60c, you don't really need anything better than that.

At the time I bought the cooler there wasn't an Extreme Plus II. Plus it is the same as mentioned. The cooling performance is the same. You do get better chipset paste and the heatsinks are included. My load temps never go past 60c, you don't really need anything better than that.

oh i see, i just installed my plus II, its amazing! its so freaking quiet that was really impressive and i dont get temps over 60 with oc!

Really? That sounds awesome. Guess I'll get the rev.2 for my 6870 :thup:
This cooler is overkill on my 6970, a 6870 doesn't come close to need this cooling power. You should get the Accelero Twin Turbo if you do want an aftermarket solution. The Extreme is only for the big boy GPU's that use the most electricity and cause the most heat.

I've been wondering if changing the fans on this would make a big difference. The thing is near silent at 100%. Three 92mm fans capable of 1300rpm or so might give a few deg improvement.

Last edited:
I hate to bump an old thread, but I just bought two of these for my 6950's, and I am having severe difficulty getting the heatsinks to stick via the thermal glue supplied. It doesn't appear to be curing. Cards have been sitting out now for 3 hours, and everything moves with the slightest touch...

8rnT9YW.jpg

did you clean the RAM off with an eraser/rubbing alcohol before applying them?

Are you sure the glue was mixed up completely?

If you used the glue supplied with those memory heatsinks 3hrs isn't enough time for that glue to cure, Ive installed this cooler on 570 before and I ended up letting that glue cure overnight, not sure how long it took but after like 15 hours it was solid.

This cooler is excellent performance wise, but installing those memory and vrm heatsinks is a pain, plus you need to buy different kit for different card, mine is somewhere in my basement now just because I cant use the same memory/vrm kit I used for 570. Plus vrm need more cooling than those tiny aluminum heatsinks, its enough for memory but not vrm, I blew my gtx570 vrm while gaming, not sure if it was faulty vrm (reference 570's known for that) but beefier vrm cooling wouldn't hurt.

I had a similar problem because I didn't clean the surfaces properly. I found the thermal pads better than the glue.

I cleaned the crap out of everything with 99% anhydrous rubbing alcohol. Turned out the stuff needed to cure overnight, and only hardens to a "rubber" consistency.

However, after attempting to crossfire these two cards, there was still not adequate clearance for the "primary" slot card to get airflow, and extreme temperatures were logged. I have since removed the secondary card, and am only running a single card now. Temperatures are much better.

Back