• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mykull

Registered
I have a phenom II 555 be and a biostar 880G plus some G-skill ddr-3 1600 9-9-9-24 8 gig.
Running win 7 premium and have gotten the cpu to 4.0ghz so far by just upping the multiplier, but I read there is something I am missing as far as overall speed and don't have a clue as what to change.

I have this on my bench so posting pics of cpu-z and such are not so easy for me but do have cpu-z and prime 95 running and ready.

I am currently trying prime 95 and 4.2ghz, but I bought this thing to overclock it and want to do so but need some guidance as how to get there.
I have an evga 465 to put in later but won't overclock it until the warranty is up...so onboard graphics while testing.

Side note: I have unlocked all four cores and upped the voltage to 1.4 to get them stable but they would only go to 3.6Ghz with just upping the multiplier. I would rather get the speed out of two than the processing of four until I retire this from gaming to video and picture editing where four would be better.

Last edited:
Thanks, but....

I could use some help in defining what some of the names of the settings in the bios mean. Like cpu did, vid, and fid. Htt, and others I don't know what some of these are for and really don't wan't to fry something going along with his guide. I'll try to get some of the others I don't know tomorrow before I really tinker.
Side Note: 12 hrs prime95 @4.2Ghz 44c on air just with multiplier.

Here come the questions....

Here are the bios settings as they are now:

1.38v idle 1.404v max
Power Now Enabled
ACPI State Enabled
Probe filter Auto........What is this?
Advanced Clock Calibration Disabled......For unlocking cores?
Core Leveling Auto.....?
Smart MultiCore Auto.....?
CPU VCORE +0.50v
CPU NB OVERVOLTAGE +0.50v
CHIPSET OVERVOLTAGE 1.27v
HT OVERVOLTAGE 1.27
MEMORY OVERVOLTAGE 1.60
CPU FREQUENCY 200

CPU FID/VID CONTROL
Custom P-States Enabled
Core VID 1.325
Core FID X21.0 4200mhz....selection from x16 3200mhz to x21.5 4700mhz
Core DID Divided x 1
NB VID 1.175
NB FID 2000mhz
DRAM TIMING Auto
Memeory Clock Mode Auto......options are DCT 0 DCT 1 or both
Hyper transport config
HT LINK SPEED auto.......options 200mhz to 2.0ghz
HT LINK WIDTH Auto.....?....options 4 8 16 bit
Memory Config.............Not much of a clue on any of theses
Bank interleaving Auto
Channel Interleaving XOR or Address bit
Enable clock to all dimms Disabled
MEMCLK Tristate C3/ATLVIB disabled
Memory Hole Remapping Enabled
DCI Unganged Mode Always
Power Down Enable Disabled
Page Smashing Disabled............I really would like some info on this one.
ECC Config Disabled
Interrupt 19 Capture Disabled......????
Ignore Memory Error Messages Disabled........???

This is what I have and would love to know what is possible with a little help from all of you here. :bang head :confused:

Trying 4.2Ghz

Can't really change much except the ht frequency @2.2Ghz and the multiplier 21x200.....running prime right now, will post back tomorrow with results.
Hopefully when they do a bios for the board I can up the fsb...says 200-600 but can't change it:(.

Biostar 880g+

Biostar 880G+.........still no errors on prime...fingers crossed

No luck

Ran for 12 plus hours but when I got home from work I had recovered from an error.....bsod it said.....:rain:

Back to 4.0Ghz I guess.......Or maybe up the voltage a little.....HMMMMM

I think you actually have a very good chip. My 555BE was a good one and I could not get it to 4GHz with less than 1.4V so the fact that you're hitting 4.2 at under 1.4V is great. I say tweak the CPU NB speed up a bit...
For 4GHz you should be looking at something like 2300 - 2400 on CPU NB... that means you'll be raising the volts on the CPU NB a tick or two as well... maybe 1.225 or 1.250 for CPU NB Volts.

HT Link you can leave at 10x (2000MHz).

Thanks...still trying

Going to try the baby bumps one more time and I would like to get this stable to play some games with and edit some photos...
but mostly if I can get it fast enough I should be able to break light speed and create a worm hole to get me into the future far enough to look back at my problems here and fix them before I knew I had them....or would that interrupt the space time continuum. Damn you Einstein for not finishing your work.

Baby steps....

20 hours on prime and happy. I ended upping the voltage one notch and can you say stablized at 52c max temp on air. This will probably fluxuate a little when I put it in my box but still acceptable.
Here are the final pics.
Thanks for all the help.....until I get a bios update...lol:rock:

Up time.jpg

4.2 cpuz.jpg

4.2 CPUand prime.jpg

Cpu And Prime.jpg

Memory And off prime.jpg

Cpu And no prime.jpg

Ran it unganged before

I just thought I would see if it made a difference and left it on auto in the bios.....like I have stated before still new to the overclocking. Is there a difference when gaming between ganged and unganged? I thought the dual channel was supposed to be better.
As far as the ram goes, I did buy it for headroom when overclocking and am waiting for that in the bios upgrade also. :bang head

Back