• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove sheath from 5850 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keyar

Hi, I'm new here and I'm not totally sure this is the right subforum but here goes.

I'm trying to remove the sheath to my radeon hd5850 black edition cuz my fan has started to make quite alot of noise and the only way to access it so I can add oil or switch the fan is by removing it.
I've removed every screw on the back(and the ones needed in the panel) and the sheath is fairly loose, I can actually move it around a few mm's, but I still can't remove it, it's stuck somewhere in the middle.
I realize there may be clips holding it, but it's impossible to see and I don't wanna risk destroying the card by bending it too much. Also, the fact that it's somewhat loose makes me question this a bit.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I've spent a few hours googling for information but have yet to find an answer and was hoping someone here might know what to do.

Do you mean the cover over the heatsink or the cooler itself? If you have all the screws out, take a flashlight and look around the edge. It may just be the TIM/thermal pads holding it on. If you can twist the cooler, then it should come off with a bit of force.

Thx, finally got it off, still don't know what was holding it back.
Anyways, I got it open and got access to the fan. After I removed the sticker on the back all I could see was a metal plate that didn't seem like it was removable so adding oil isn't an option apparently.
I guess my only option is to buy a new one, do any of you have a suggestion to a good and decently silent fan that works for my card? Preferably one I'm able to add oil to when it's needed.

Edit: Thought I should mention, I realize that fans make noise at high speeds, but I'm not much of a gamer and my fan is quite noisy even at 20-30% which I know it isn't supposed to be, since it was quiet when I first got it.

Which one do you have, exactly?

It may be best to get an aftermarket cooler or RMA if it is within the warranty period.

Which kind of fan? Uhm, I have no idea, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to stuff like this. It certainly isn't shaped like a normal fan anyway...
I was thinking of using something external since I don't think there's anything I can buy that actually fits it.

Also, do I actually need it? It already comes with a heatsink and like I said, I'm not a gamer, the only reason I have this kind of card is cuz it came with the computer.

What kind of card? Make and model.

If the card came with a fan, it needs a fan if you want it to not melt. ;)

Uhm, I already wrote it in the first post but it's a Ati Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition. Did you need any other specifics? I thought they were all the same.

Oh, sorry, I missed that. If it is a standard one (reference design), then they are basically all the same.

I still stand by my suggestion, though. If this is under a warranty, RMA it. If it isn't, put an aftermarket heatsink on it. If you go with the latter, pick one that you can easily replace the fan.

I don't have any warranty left on it.
Anyways, I bought the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro after reading alot of positive reviews of it and a guide on how to install it. Said and done, my graphic card is pretty much completely silent, I can hear a very faint noise when I turn the fans up to max, but really, my old harddrive makes more noise :p
Also, the temp on my gpu has dropped down to 30-34C idle, it was previously at ~48C, so that was a nice bonus :)
Thanks for the help!

Back