Gigabyte X58A-OC Review: By Overclockers, For Overclockers

It's not news that Gigabyte makes motherboards that are "overclocker friendly" and that may be deemed an understatement by many. What is news is that the Gigabyte X58A-OC is specifically built for overclocking and maybe more to the point, extreme overclocking. The board is described as being "designed by overclockers, for overclockers" and this marks something significant.

... Return to article to continue reading.
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; 05-10-11 at 11:15 AM.

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    I am going to get one of these, despite not personally needing an X58 board right now. But I do want more motherboards designed specifically with overclockers in mind, and if this sells well, we are more likely to see more motherboards targeted at our niche...

Go buy this board, I don't care if you need it or not!
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.

Nice review and great overclock!
    System:
    i5-750 @ 4.4GHz (and beyond), 1.368v under LinX & 1.225v VTT
    EK supreme cooper, MCP655 with 2x360 swiftech
    EVGA P55 classified 200
    2x2Gb ECO G.skill 1600 7-8-7-24 @ 2000MHz 7-8-7-24 1.61v / 2100MHz 8-9-8-24 1.5v
    XFX 5870 @ 960//1300 stock voltage
    CM690 II
    Samsung F3 spinpoint
    Corsair 750W

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    This would be a freaking awesome board if I was more heavily invested in X58, all I have is my 920 and my wallet already cried a bit with just getting a benching setup with S775 stuff!
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Nice review Ross! Interesting to see your insulating method/practices as I hadn't seen that before. It really looks like a great board.
    Haswell/IB/SB on a Dimastech Bench table.

10 Year Badge

2.5 years late

Very nice review... Would have been nice to see that around 2 and a half years ago though. Wonder if they have the same thing planned for socket 2011

Senior Intel-lectual
    Author Profile
    Thanks Roger and everyone. Yes, this is a great board and I agree that the timing may be a little inconvenient for people that are thinking of leaving 1366 behind and I was of one of them, but now I am going to do both (1366 and 1155) and will buy a 990X to run in this board too. I know that won't be a feasible or appealing option for most people, but when you bench all the time, there is no such thing as having too much hardware

It remains to be seen if they will have a purpose-built overclocker's board for P68X and I guess that will depend on what P68X can do and take advantage of compared to P67A (ie. lots of voltage, cold, high BCLK, etc.). I do know this: if they make an overclocker's board like this for P68X, I'll be first in line to buy one!

its a great board guy, i got min eup and running, its pure beast.

BTW OP try 600khz for the switching frequency, its better than 1mhz sometimes.. hint hint.

Senior Intel-lectual
    Author Profile
    Yep, it is an awesome board for sure. You have an outstanding write-up on it too steve. If anyone hasn't seen it and wants some very in-depth info on the circuitry that makes this board tick, check out steve's thread

Senior Benchmark Addict
    10 Year Badge
    I like how you pointed out the ease of insulation. Definitely a very important, but often overlooked, factor.
    El<(')>Maxi: I still have your board...and I'm afraid I lost your address so I can't send it back...and my pm box is broken...and I can't remember where the PO is anyway