• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PSU would you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I am going to be running the following specs:
CPU: Sandy Bridge i7 2600k
GPU: Two Zotac GTX 580 AMP!2 in SLI
RAM: 16GB(4x4GB) G-skill 1600
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 deluxe
Storage: Crucial 64G SSD, Hitachi 2TB 7200rmp, Samsung 2TB 4200rpm
Monitors: 3x ASUS VW246H 24" 1920x1080

I don't know if all of these matter, and if I missed anything that does please let me know. What wattage of power supply would you recommend if I plan on overclocking? And what brand?

Last edited:
Are you looking to spend a certain amount? I would recommend 1000w psu because of the gpus and overclocking headroom. You could get by with an 850w but that would cut it close.

In terms of low priced 1000w psus the CM Silent pro 1000w 80plus is one of the best and will suit your system perfectly. If you don't mind spending a bit more the OCZ ZX 1000w 80plus gold is an excellent psu.

BTW what case are you looking to get?

Last edited:
What would a 1200W supply be used for then? And where do you draw this 870 number from?

What would a 1200W supply be used for then? And where do you draw this 870 number from?

Tri/Quad sli/xfire setups would need higher wattage psus. Also since the 480 the 580 was a big step up in terms of efficiency.

The 870w number I got from my personal estimates using max power draw ratings, there are also apps you can use but they are sometimes unreliable.

I do not believe my motherboard even supports 3 graphics cards, and by the time games are advanced enough for me to need a 3rd GTX 580 these cards will be long outdated. So even with EXTREME overclocking I can run the processor and both the GTX 548s? Sorry Im just really nervous about this choice.

Yes 1000w 80plus psu should handle that, however if you really don't want to go with 1000w psu I would recommend this the only difference is price($60 off as well), I guess if you feel safer with 1200w I guess its worth it. But as I said 1000w will suffice.

Think about it this way, your 580's will peak out at ~500w. That leaves 500w to the rest of your system if you go with a 1000w psu, which is more than you will ever need.

So I wouldnt even really need a 1000W would I? Also because I am using SLI I would want to have a single 12V rail correct?

Last edited:
I will direct you to this thread, very nice summary to single vs multi rail psus. But honestly any high quality psu which is sli/xfire certified will do fine multi or single railed.

^^ too bad the Antec one will only fit Antec cases. Unless there is some way around that...

You can go to a site like this: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

And plug in the HW that you'll be powering with the PSU... It will give you a Wattage calculation for what you would need in terms of PSU. It is not 100% exact, but it is accurate enough to give you a ballpark idea of what you would need.

As per your question on the 950W PSU....

Corsair TX950W... This unit will power your rig without even breaking a sweat.

Ok so I was using a wattage calculator, and I guess I forgot to mention I am going to have an LCD touch screen taking up 2 drive bays as well as a blueray/CD player in one bay. I also wanted to switch to liquid cooling at some point and run a good 4-5 fans. The calculator says I would want something in the 1200W range...confused?

Back