• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi 6950 twin frozr III overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillinja666

so i got the 6950 twin frozr III yesterday, out of the box it works nice, but i didnt buy this card to run it stock. I tried to flash it to a 6970 but it failed, so either i dont know what im doing ( which might be true ) or it just wont flash.

Anyways useing after burner I slid the sliders to max of 900/1500 ( i think im not at home to check spec ). Is that all this card can do? is there another program that will let me get more out of this card. I hit those numbers with out any voltage increases cause afterburner wont let you tweek the voltage. Thanks!

with the 6950, flashing directly to a 6970 is a bad idea as they use different memory types i think, but the shaders are still unlock able, with a modified bios for the 6950 running the 6970s shaders.

ok well where can i get said modified bios then.

and is that as far as these will overclock for the time being?

ah i think i might have solved my own problem. ill get to it again when i get back home. hope this helps other people who have this same card with the same problems

http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/915716-6950-shader-unlock-voltage-control.html

edit:

ok after downloading the beta version of afterburner here and following the directions here i was able to make afterburner do what i wanted.

now i tried the method from the first link, but i still was not able to unlock my shaders to the 6970 specs, does anyone have a fix for my card with this?

Last edited:
ah i think i might have solved my own problem. ill get to it again when i get back home. hope this helps other people who have this same card with the same problems

http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/915716-6950-shader-unlock-voltage-control.html

edit:

ok after downloading the beta version of afterburner here and following the directions here i was able to make afterburner do what i wanted.

now i tried the method from the first link, but i still was not able to unlock my shaders to the 6970 specs, does anyone have a fix for my card with this?

non-reference cards only have a chance to unlock, it's not as likely as it is with reference cards. Your card is non-reference. Also, a 900/1500 oc is nothing to snub at... compare that oc result with your stock and you will see a nice little increase in speeds.

non-reference cards only have a chance to unlock, it's not as likely as it is with reference cards. Your card is non-reference. Also, a 900/1500 oc is nothing to snub at... compare that oc result with your stock and you will see a nice little increase in speeds.

thanks! i ended up having to run 900/1400 though cause the 1500 wasnt 100% stable. maybe in a bit after "burn in " i can get some more poop outta the card. wish i could hit 1K on the core speed though, at 950 i start loseing stability and at 1K it crashed out after 5 mins of kombuster.

also is it normal for the core speed to be all over the place when kombuster is running? the mem speed pegs at what i set it at but the core bounces around from 900 to as low as 5-something. when i clock higher then 900 my fps drops a couple frames too so i think 900/1400 is the fps sweet spot for now

it throttles down because you're reaching the TPD limit.

I'm running 960 core at 1.175vcore and 1470 mem stable everyday use on my xfx.

Looks like a good memory OC to me... I might run a few comparison benches first.

ya this card is a POS, i had to up the voltages to 1.250 with the mem and aux voltage at max on the scale. im RMAing it for a xfx 2 gig unless someone wants to buy it off me for 275 plus shipping right now

ya this card is a POS, i had to up the voltages to 1.250 with the mem and aux voltage at max on the scale. im RMAing it for a xfx 2 gig unless someone wants to buy it off me for 275 plus shipping right now

Why would you return a working card? :screwy:

Back