• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest CPU for Antec 380w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Antec is not a very trust worthy PSU. This link has a list of recommended PSU: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Sorry for my bad Englisch. I try again,

I have a PC with this specifications:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 710 (2.6Ghz)
GPU: MSI ATI HD R5770 1GB DDR5 (Hawk edition)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380W
Memory: 2x2GB Total of 4GB @ 800Mhz (Patriot Extreme Series)
MoBo: Asus M4N78

My new plan is a new CPU. An AMD Phenom II 6 core is to heavy for my 380W PSU.

** What is best CPU for my PC ? **

Stay by the x3 series or try a x4 ... or have any one a better sugestion ?

Thank you verry much ;)

I humbly apologise, I was told in another forum on a recommendation not to buy Antec when I was building my own computer. I have found out by viewing the testing and reviews over here that what was said over there often had no basis other then opinion. Post will be edited

I humbly apologise, I was told in another forum on a recommendation not to buy Antec when I was building my own computer. I have found out by viewing the testing and reviews over here that what was said over there often had no basis other then opinion. Post will be edited

Happens to all of us, thus the wonder of the forum. We can correct each other. I've said similar things too.
:bday:

W/ that 5770 380w might be a bit to close for comfort. I personally would swap out the psu for a 500w 80plus.

Here is a reasonably priced psu, well worth the price to keep your compoenets safe.

I know my GPU is on the edge for this setup, but they 5770's are now more economical in use so a 380W is no problem. Its not optimal, but it stand.

I OC today my GPU, i maked a benchtest:

picture.php

Last edited:
Well in that case, the X3 710 has a TDP of 95w, so a X4 945 would have equivalent usage.

Jumping to a X6 Thuban you add about 30w, so you may be able to pull it off. But as I mentioned it would be just barley enough.

Ok Thanks all ;)

Well in that case, the X3 710 has a TDP of 95w, so a X4 945 would have equivalent usage.

Jumping to a X6 Thuban you add about 30w, so you may be able to pull it off. But as I mentioned it would be just barley enough.

I found a 6 core 95 W
Is that compatible for 380W ?

http://www.bytesatwork.be/hardware/processoren/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t.html

But its also on 2.8 MHz, the other i found is example 3.0 or more MHz
What preform the most then, Mhz or the numbers of cores ?

Last edited:
Your video card eats around 110w at stock clocks.
Your ram/mobo eats maybe 30w.
Your hard drive(s) eat 12w each, roughly.
Fans each eat between 2 and 5 watts.
A new PhII X6 cpu eats 125w.

Total that all up and you have ~300w of 12 volt eaten.
If your 380w PSU is capable of giving you over 300w (25 amps) of 12v, you're good.
If it can't, I would buy a larger PSU.

Yeah, at max load, the PSU will strain, but it's an Antec, so it should be okayish. It might get loud, but unless it's old as bones, it shouldn't blow up in your face :)

The EA380 was an excellent sub-400W power supply. It will power ANY AMD-based system with an HD 5770, and you'd likely only have issues if you were really pushing the clock speed envelope while overclocking.

Don't worry about it until you start hitting some high clocks or, more importantly, upgrade your video card. The GPUs are the PSU-killers these days...

ETA : I've run nastier rigs on EA-380s before!

Back