• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob with a 6970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

St Alban

Registered
So I am a noob with a 6970. I know next to nothing about overclocking. I am just trying to figure out if I am still having driver issues.
I set the CCC at defaults and I get 4996 on 3dmark 11. When I slide the bars up to the max it goes down to 3182?

I had problems with stability until I ran about 5 registry fixers...lol
and the next step is to either reinstall windows or try and driver sweep. but I just got the thing stable so I would rather try and find out if it is functioning properly.
from what I can tell I should be running 3dmark11 at least at 5500s? any Ideas?

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
977GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA)
Corsair tx750

Score seems fine to me if your cpu is at stock. A X6 1045T runs at like 2.7ghz which is terribly slow for pushing this kind of GPU power.

hmm

Score seems fine to me if your cpu is at stock. A X6 1045T runs at like 2.7ghz which is terribly slow for pushing this kind of GPU power.

well I'm taking this as a learning experience. In a year or so I will get a new Mobo and case so I probably will get a new bulldozer processor then too... Hopefully I have this rig paid off by then ;) but in the meantime whats the best way to push my cpu?

You can't expect the card to handle maximum clocks on the slider without any voltage increase! Increase the bars slowly in steps to find the maximum point in stability. A lower score indicates the card was unstable at the clock speeds you tried.

You could also try overclocking the CPU also, if you have a decent CPU cooler. But I suggest you read up on overclocking more before you attempt it.

ok

As long as the card is operating within parameters I am OK. I'm building the system for Guild Wars 2 so I don't need to push the envelope. I'm not doing eyefinity so i really don't need the overclock. but I may try and slide it up incrementally like you said.

does the fact that the thing has 6 cores help? I mean is it that big of a difference from say 2.7 to 2.9ghz? And what you are saying is that my money would be well spent if in a year I upgraded my processor to a bulldozer?

thanks

Slid it up slow and cracked the 5k mark! still it will bug me that I may need to get a new processor...lol

I dont think your cpu should bottleneck that card really.. I have no scientific proof to back that up, but a hex core like that should be able to keep up with the card in my humble opinion!

does the fact that the thing has 6 cores help? I mean is it that big of a difference from say 2.7 to 2.9ghz? And what you are saying is that my money would be well spent if in a year I upgraded my processor to a bulldozer?

Nope, if your game is coded for a single thread, the benefits will be drastically small. BC2 yes (up to 4 cores), but most games, no.

All in all though you should have no problem playing any game at decent settings with that setup. All modern games use at least 2 cores now so you should at least get 60FPS where there isn't a GPU bottleneck (in very demanding games like metro 2033).

Ok...I have had hella problems with my cards and have since switched back to the wimpy one to narrow down my list of crash culprits.

I have been digging and digging to find the answer to this one.

Is the 6970 HYBRID crossfire x compatible? could it be the radeon 3000 onboard crap causing my crashes?

Well it looks as if Asus had some real problems with these cards as they have pulled them. Tiger direct couldn't even exchange it for me so they refunded me. Gonna wait for the 7000s to come out or go with Nvidea

Back