• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Short stroke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bakercake

Well I plan on getting another hdd and try out raid 0 with short stroke. My question is if I partition the drive like 1 just for the os, one for games, and another for programs will this kill the point of this setup because of the partitions? I'm lost how I should I order my partition setup without losing to much of the short stroke benefits:confused:.

Setting up different partitions for the OS, games and programs makes no sense. You will actually hurt the performance since extra partitions are going to be further out on the platter; meaning, less performance.

If you have other drives that you backup to, you could simply run these drives in RAID 0 and not worry about any partitioning. I don't think your motherboard has the capability to do two different RAID levels on the same set of disks. So running a RAID 0 for the OS/programs and RAID 1 for your documents is out of the question.

So whats all this talk about partitioning your hdd for security reasons. Like keep the os away from your programs or is that a bunch of bs?

partitioning is more for portability, but nowadays it's useless with the size of HDDs nowadays.

Partitioning a RAID0 array might also increase the chance of failure if it undergoes a lot of read/write cycles.

If you partition, put the OS/APPS/Games on the first partition as that will be the quickuest.

Im not sure what security putting stuff on another partition would help, more like data protection..

The fact is, if you install everything up front/first, its going to be on the fastest part of the drive anyway...

I used to short stroke my array back in the day. I liked it quite abit :)

I used 2 0/0 partitions in matrix manager, I usually set the windows drive to a little under 1/3 of the total size. (I used to have a formula but I cant remember it without playing with it) IIRC thats how I was able to get the lowest latency while maintaining maximum bandwidth, useing hdtune and apps like that :D

I was never concerned with the otherside of the partition, but it was usually 2ms slower then c drive.

Cant have consistent latencies like that... On the begining partition if its small enough, sure, but you cant get past physics... That latency will grow the further along the platter it goes.

partitioning is more for portability, but nowadays it's useless with the size of HDDs nowadays.

Partitioning a RAID0 array might also increase the chance of failure if it undergoes a lot of read/write cycles.

I play Gta4 sometimes and it loves to abuse my hdd, but it won't kill it I guess...

I'll just go for raid 0 with SS 300gd out of 1tb XD see how it works out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back