• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio codec for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Domino

Auzentech forte allows DTS/Dolby/ or some other 3D tech (CSCC or something). When I used to game on my HD555s, I noticed that when the X-Fi 3D setting was enabled, the position was amazing. You could really feel a 360 sound pressence in every game...especially BFBC2 (even though I disliked the sound and the game's audio engine).

I now have a dedicated speaker set and I can't really decide between DTS from the soundcard or PCM from the Videocard. Eventually I went with the Video card for the audio processing as it allows full lossless audio quality, but I'm beginning to think that maybe I would get better positioning audio from the auzentech forte itself. DTS is alright, but I'm wondering if the X-Fi 3D sound processing would work for the speakers as well. I read somewhere that it does, but since it is being sent through a SPDIF cable I don't know if the cable supports enough bandwith for 5.1 channels? It is being sent to a receiver.

So I'm wondering, would the X-Fi 3D (w/ MacroFX and that other thing) be the best bet for gaming? I'll use the video card for videos/audio and the auzentech for gaming?

Cheers on input! :D

Was wondering if I should use PCM, DTS, DD, or creative's 3D encoder for gaming for best sound positioning. I'm using a 5.1 surround system that runs to a receiver. Would the receiver understand creative's 3D encoder?

Haha, sorry though. Too much of an engineering mind here.

Hi Domino,

You made perfect sense =) Most important is to understand the difference between the many codecs and which are best; but first I would like to answer your question about the 3D encoder... I do not see the point or reasoning in the 3D encoder... It is definitely not industry standard such as DTS and for that reason the reciever will not understand it UNLESS it is being decoded than sent out as PCM, in which if you like the sound that is great!

While I mentioned PCM we may as well get in some more detail, PCM is an uncompressed audio track, well it has already been decoded, it is not possible to send 5.1ch PCM via optical connections. You can send a compressed stream though, such as DTS or DD.

I truly prefer having the reciever do the decoding (so DTS, DD), I like the pretty light my reciever lights up when it gets DTS HDMA streams and it sounds different =D

It is up to you, switch between them and listen to what you prefer, most important to remember is PCM is decoded by the computer or "source" and anything else such as DTS, DD, DTS HD etc... Is all done by the reciever!

Hi Domino,

You made perfect sense =) Most important is to understand the difference between the many codecs and which are best; but first I would like to answer your question about the 3D encoder... I do not see the point or reasoning in the 3D encoder... It is definitely not industry standard such as DTS and for that reason the reciever will not understand it UNLESS it is being decoded than sent out as PCM, in which if you like the sound that is great!

I think that is how it works - decoded then sent out as PCM. Though I haven't had a chance to play it with it yet. Should be able to this weekend.

It is just that the sound positioning made gaming very life like. Although I disliked the sound from the 555s, as they weren't immersive, but at least the positioning was realistic.

While I mentioned PCM we may as well get in some more detail, PCM is an uncompressed audio track, well it has already been decoded, it is not possible to send 5.1ch PCM via optical connections. You can send a compressed stream though, such as DTS or DD.

Thanks for the info. I always thought PCM wasn't decoded at all, just the full lossless audio from the source itself?

Ya, I have the video card sending the 5.1 PCM through HDMI or DTS through the Forte.

I truly prefer having the reciever do the decoding (so DTS, DD), I like the pretty light my reciever lights up when it gets DTS HDMA streams and it sounds different =D

LOL. I notice differences between the 2, but I find PCM to be a bit more clear. However, I've found out that my audio settings are all messed up. Speaker placement is bad, the wireing is bad, etc. Making this into a project this weekend. xD

It is up to you, switch between them and listen to what you prefer, most important to remember is PCM is decoded by the computer or "source" and anything else such as DTS, DD, DTS HD etc... Is all done by the reciever!

It is good to know, thanks.

Games don't have DTS do they? So is there some decoding done by the forte and then it gets send to the receiver and decoded again? I have a feeling I'm using the wrong terminology. Maybe the source is converted and compressed into a DTS stream by the forte and the decoded by the receiver?

I honestly can't make up mind between the two (sound card or GPU). But it is probably because all my audio is funkay. I think it came down to music -> GPU, gaming -> DTS. But overall, more clear sound had me use the GPU instead and the forte for headphones/mic.

Cheers for the info. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Correct, PCM is lossless, it isn't to speak straight from the source, if anything it has been modified, as it is decoded by the computer then sent out as a lossless stream. It truly comes down to, will the reciever do a better job or the computer..?

The easiest way to remember it is, DTS, DD and all the others are NOT touched by the computer, they are sent off 'as is' and it is up to the reciever to make sense of it. PCM, anything understands, all the work has been done and the reciever just adds any EQs you have set and any other adjustments that it is suppose to. You actually could get away with 20 year old amps (if you had enough of them... 2ch + 2 + 2) and send them PCM through the speaker outs on the PC =D

As for DTS not being available in games, it sure is! I have my GPU sending audio out of HDMI and I get DTS. I guess it depends on the game.

Go for what you feel sounds best, remember you still have options with the GPU as well, find yourself some spare time and just mess around with the options, see if sampling frequencys make a difference for you, and all the other good audio options!

Also,

getting into the Hardware and Sound of Windows is a great idea! Go to your GPU or HDMI (whatever it is named) and see what the card supports, the sampling rates you have available and anything else, good luck! =)

Back