• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving a RAID card to a different machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

Ello guys ..

Quick question to help reassure me lol .. I'm having to downsize my setup a bit while replacing my i7 950 machine as it just died, and one option is to sell off my server and move the storage array to my new 2600k setup when build.. The storage setup consists of:

A RocketRAID 640 card with 4x 2TB drives configured in RAID 10 (0+1)

Now, am I correct in thinking that moving the array is as simple as slotting the card in its new slot and plugging the HDDs back in the same ports??

Any & all input appreciated! Cheeers guys :beer:

i would think so. obviously dont expect the OS to like the new hardware (mobo) very much... but if the array is just storage then u should be fine.

I'm not sure if this has been solved yet, but you can simply move the card and the drives to the new computer and it should pick up on it. To get a higher probability of success, I would put the drives on the same port. Any good RAID card will be able to see if the drives moved between ports and compensate without user intervention. There is a chance that it may go into a "foreign configuration", if you don't. If it does, you would have to tell it what drives were in the array before it would rebuild and then the data would be available.

I recently added a second 8087 cable from my RAID card's second port to my SAS expander, while switching the ports for all the drives and the cables connecting to the RAID card. It didn't miss a beat and I didn't have to do anything. It just worked.

If your card doesnt support array roaming then you may need to keep the order of the drives the same after moving them to the new system.

Back