• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 6870 B.E. jump in idle temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XC99TF00

Registered
So semi-recently, I made some changes to my computer, including the addition of a SSD. After botching a transfer of windows to the new SSD and reloading everything, I finally had my computer working properly again. However, I just noticed that my videocard, an XFX 6870 Black Edition is running hotter at idle than it had pre-installation of the SSD.

At idle before the addition of the SSD, I was running at about 36C with an ambient temp of about 21-23C. Warmer that I would like, but not an issue at all. Post the addition of the SSD, the videocard's idle has jumped to about 43-45C, depending on the room temp.

I have an HAF X case, but have not added any fans to the stock ones as of yet. Could the addition of the SSD altered the airflow from the front intake fan on its route backwards to the videocard enough to warrant such a change in temps? I did shift the positioning of the two HDDs in the rack and placed the SSD in the rack as well, so they do block some of the airflow from the front intake fan.

I am thinking of adding the second 200mm fan to the top of the case in light of this, and possible adding a couple of the optional internal fans to direct air more appropriately to where it is needed, but thought I would see what others might have to say.

For full disclosure, the temps were with the fan at its default 20% setting, and the clocks at stock 940mHz core clock and 1150mHz memory clock. I can turn the fan up, and do for gaming purposes to keep the temps lower, but when I'm not using graphic intensive applications, I like to keep the machine running a bit more quietly. Thanks in advance for the input everyone.

those temps aren't going to do anything to the machine. Manually control the fan and it'll be fine. 5-10 degrees difference in idle is nothing. Idle temps aren't really relevant anyway. They won't affect anything negatively.

But I then have to question if your load temps are higher? If they are, then you might consider more fans or swapping things back around. If not, don't worry.

That said, what about your CPU? have those temps changed at all?

I realize they won't do anything to the machine at these temps, but it was an odd jump in my opinion. I haven't run any load/stress tests on it as of yet, since I just picked up on the difference last night, and won't be able to this evening as I'll be traveling. I will however, see what I can do over the course of the next few days (more travel this weekend as well).

As for the CPU, the difference is far more negligable. Still within a (+ or -) 1-2 degree range of where it was prior to the changes.

I'll see what I can do over the next several days and get back to you accordingly with test results. Speaking of which, what tests would be best to run on this to test the videocard at load? I'm still new to the world of OCing/benchmarking/load testing, so its a work in progress for me. Thanks again for the advice

Back