• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Picking a PSU!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ruax

Hello, first off thank you for taking the time to help me out. I am building a new machine ( first time builder) and am having alittle trouble trying to figure out what PSU to get. I've been reading to many posts about people blowing up their motherboards and such with the wrong psu's. So i am not sure how many watts or certain brand to get. I'm trying to keep my budget around 150.

Computer consists of....

i7-2600k (going to overclock around 4-4.5)
Asus p8p67 Deluxe
8gb ripjaws 1600 (going to upgrade to 16gb in the near future)
1tb 32/7200rpm Green WD HDD
Zalman 9900 Max
VisionTek Radeon HD 6850 (plan on going crossfire eventually)
Asus DL DVD Burner x2

Everything besides the processor and motherboard.. but i will be getting the 2600k on the 25th from intel from their summer deal for retail sales.

Stick with 8GB for now. I highly doubt you need 16GB for a few years at least.

Buy a SSD as well because those WD Green drives are slow (trust me, I have 2 of them).

Stick with 8GB for now. I highly doubt you need 16GB for a few years at least.

Buy a SSD as well because those WD Green drives are slow (trust me, I have 2 of them).

+1

Stick with the Corsair TX750 or the AX750 (corsair also makes the TX850 and AX850 if you wanted 850 watts although your more than set with the 750)
Id swap that zalman for a Corsair A70 itll handle Overclock better and stay cleaner and wont blow large large pieces of lint around ur case when you try and clean it. Also the failure rate on those green drives are like the old days of the hitachi deskstars(Deathstars)

what about the Thermaltake Black Widow 850w? i can get that at my job for a good price with my discount. Would t work or would it be a bad idea?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...take_850w_power_supply-_-17-153-106-_-Product

Ruax,

Can't find a professional review on that model. With the MIR for that Corsair (Corsair MIR's work just fine) it's hard to disregard its final price for a known quality unit.

You must be careful with Thermaltake, some of their units are first class (the Toughpower series) while others are not so good.

+1

Stick with the Corsair TX750 or the AX750 (corsair also makes the TX850 and AX850 if you wanted 850 watts although your more than set with the 750)
Id swap that zalman for a Corsair A70 itll handle Overclock better and stay cleaner and wont blow large large pieces of lint around ur case when you try and clean it. Also the failure rate on those green drives are like the old days of the hitachi deskstars(Deathstars)

you think the A70 is going to make much of a difference? From the reviews on newegg and other sites the zalman seems to handle overclocking just fine and keeps the processor cool, not to mention looks a lot better.

you think the A70 is going to make much of a difference? From the reviews on newegg and other sites the zalman seems to handle overclocking just fine and keeps the processor cool, not to mention looks a lot better.

Yes i do. The A70 is within a couple degress of my noctua and at 50 bux thats a steal. heres the benchmark

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1389/6/

when ur playign around on your computer the last thing ull be looking at is your cpu heatsink :p

Not having a good day Kommander! :escape: :D

I hear ya i was i was waking up coughing up mucus and it literally filled up my mouth half way that when i spit it out it was like vomiting gnarly i cough ed my self up a headache too and to top it all off i cant taste anything! that yummy breakfast burrito i made went down as if it never touched my taste buds :-(

ruax read up a couple of posts lol we kinda diverged a bit here xD

is the a70 going to be able to handle the i7-2600k at 4-4.5?

I would go with a a Corsiar, or Antec. Don't get anything below 750w if you plan to crossfire, plus its nice to have a little more than you need.

one more question. What are your thoughts on the Corsair GS700? I can get it around $85 at my job. but if its not going to do the job then i wont bother and then ill just suck it up and spend money on the hx750.. but i am on a budget and if it will handle the hardware i listed then i would much rather save the money.

Back