• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Internal HDD I/O device error.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mets111

Registered
Hi I have a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX internal hard drive. I have had it for about six months and it ran with no issues, I use a SSD for my windows installation with everything else being installed to this drive. Recently I have been receiving "error: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." I ran a diagnostic tool provided from WD and it fixed some bad sectors but I am still having problems. If I run a game or watch a movie off the drive my computer will freeze and I receive "Windows explorer has stopped working." I can copy files to and from the drive with no issue but if I try to read and write at the same time I get the I/O error message. What can I do? Thanks in advance.

Run HDTune (Download link), screenshot the Health tab and post it here.

Backup your data immediately, as well. If you can't back up the system now, shut it down until you can.

That is odd. Is this drive plugged directly into the motherboard via a SATA cable?

I would also try the WD tools, which should be available for download on their website. This will let you run a quick test on the drive to see if it has problems.

That is odd. Is this drive plugged directly into the motherboard via a SATA cable?

I would also try the WD tools, which should be available for download on their website. This will let you run a quick test on the drive to see if it has problems.

Its plugged in via a Rosewill Sata3 cable, I ran the diagnostic tool off WD website and it said it repaired bad sectors but its still having issues.

Is it making any odd noises? If so, RMA. If it isn't, use a different cable on a different port or try it in another computer.

If that still fails, back up the data and RMA the drive.

That is really strange.

Defiantly back up the drive ASAP or if you can't avoid powering it up til you can get a drive to copy the data off.
Then RMA the drive, they might be able to cross ship drives if necessary (deposit has to be put down).

Is it making any odd noises? If so, RMA. If it isn't, use a different cable on a different port or try it in another computer.

If that still fails, back up the data and RMA the drive.

It is making no noise. I just switched Sata cables and ports, now my computer isn't associating any of my programs to the drive because it was drive D now it is drive G. I went into Disk Management and it won't let me change the drive name to D, is there a way to change every file to now use G? Other than that the issue with the I/O error is completely gone and the drive is moving much much faster.

HDTune_Health_WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0.png

Last edited:
Is something using it already? It sounds like another drive (DVD?) got switched to it. You will have to unassign it from the existing device and assign it back to the original.

Is something using it already? It sounds like another drive (DVD?) got switched to it. You will have to unassign it from the existing device and assign it back to the original.

Ahhh, GENIUS! Thank You Sooo Much all is well!

Back