AMD Sempron 145 2.8ghz socket am3

Hi everyone, sorry for the n00b question but i've got a Sempron 145 2.8ghz socket am3 processor and i've seen topics across the web about unlocking the 2nd core and overclocking it using the BIOS. unfortunately my mobo is a REALLY basic one (came as part of a package) and i can't see any options to change the voltage or FSB, is it possible to unlock / overclock a system using software within windows?

I've got a feeling it's going to be a no. but thought i might ask anyway. if not, what would be a good CHEAP processor that i can use with my board? I'm on a REALLY tight budget so don't really want to spend more than about 70 on one?

My system seems to be quite good in the windows scoring thing, with pretty much everything scoring 7.2 or above apart from my ram at 4.5 and my processor at 4.7. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sabi

Gloriously Lead
    Overclockix Chief Architect
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    moved to AMD CPUs for better exposure
    intel i5-750 -- msi p55-gd65 -- 4 x 4gb ddr3 1600 -- msi gtx550 ti cyclone oc 1gb -- antec p182 -- ocz fatal1ty 750w -- windows 8.1 x64
    intel i5-3330 -- msi z77a-gd65 -- 4 x 8gb ddr3 1600 -- intel hd graphics 2500 -- fractal design define r4 black -- debian wheezy amd64

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net

Thanks, appologies, i wasn't too sure where to post it. ?

Gloriously Lead
    Overclockix Chief Architect
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    not a problem. this sub-forum gets a great deal more traffic and i'm sure someone will come along with an answer in no time.
    intel i5-750 -- msi p55-gd65 -- 4 x 4gb ddr3 1600 -- msi gtx550 ti cyclone oc 1gb -- antec p182 -- ocz fatal1ty 750w -- windows 8.1 x64
    intel i5-3330 -- msi z77a-gd65 -- 4 x 8gb ddr3 1600 -- intel hd graphics 2500 -- fractal design define r4 black -- debian wheezy amd64

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net

Disabled
    Author Profile
    Last edited by QuietIce; 06-07-11 at 04:32 AM.

Wink Same

Quote Originally Posted by QuietIce View Post
    to OCF!

If this is part of an off-the-shelf computer like Dell or something then it's doubtful you can overclock it - and in most cases you don't want to because of other hardware limitations.

As for putting another CPU in your existing board, that may not be advisable either. Every board has a CPU power limitation and it's best if you don't exceed it. What exact board do you have? CPU-Z's Mainboard tab should give you that information.

CPU-Z

Also, assuming you can put a higher powered CPU in the board, what do you do with your computer? Games? Video editing? Just basics stuff like e-mail/office/internet? Your usage will determine what CPU is best suited for you.
    Had that problem.
    Sometimes you can't get what you want.
    But keep trying on your level.
    It will come to you!

AMD XP2600/333@2.3GHz(12.5x184)(27*c/35*c)SLK-800/YS-TECH 48.5cfm,Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra/KT400,Corsair XMS PC3200/2-3-3-6-T1,40gWDHD/7200rpm/ATA100,SapphireTech ATI 9800 Pro/Antec 480 TruePower,52x32x52x16 Combo Drive/DVD+- RW Burner,Windows XP Pro
    "There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs."
    Member: SETI@HOME & O/C SETI TEAM (WWW.OCSETITEAM.COM)
    "Oh, the equipment's guaranteed, but I have my doubts about the stuff inside." [James Doohan, a.k.a. "Scottie"]

I pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of
    America and to the Republic for which it stands,
    one nation,*indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

*insert 'under GOD' here if you feel the need to.