• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Sempron 145 2.8ghz socket am3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sabi

Registered
Hi everyone, sorry for the n00b question but i've got a Sempron 145 2.8ghz socket am3 processor and i've seen topics across the web about unlocking the 2nd core and overclocking it using the BIOS. unfortunately my mobo is a REALLY basic one (came as part of a package) and i can't see any options to change the voltage or FSB, is it possible to unlock / overclock a system using software within windows?

I've got a feeling it's going to be a no. but thought i might ask anyway. if not, what would be a good CHEAP processor that i can use with my board? I'm on a REALLY tight budget so don't really want to spend more than about £70 on one?

My system seems to be quite good in the windows scoring thing, with pretty much everything scoring 7.2 or above apart from my ram at 4.5 and my processor at 4.7. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sabi

not a problem. this sub-forum gets a great deal more traffic and i'm sure someone will come along with an answer in no time.

Same

:welcome: to OCF!

If this is part of an off-the-shelf computer like Dell or something then it's doubtful you can overclock it - and in most cases you don't want to because of other hardware limitations.

As for putting another CPU in your existing board, that may not be advisable either. Every board has a CPU power limitation and it's best if you don't exceed it. What exact board do you have? CPU-Z's Mainboard tab should give you that information.

CPU-Z

Also, assuming you can put a higher powered CPU in the board, what do you do with your computer? Games? Video editing? Just basics stuff like e-mail/office/internet? Your usage will determine what CPU is best suited for you. :)

Had that problem.
Sometimes you can't get what you want.
But keep trying on your level.
It will come to you!

Back