• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a list of am3 boards with x16/x16 slots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The high-end 890fx boards. I use a Gigabyte 890FX in my sig. It has 2 16speed pcie slots. MSI 890FX, Asus 890FX, and ASrock 890FX all have 2x16 speed pcie slots. 890GX's have only one 16 speed pcie and the rest are 8 speed or less. Still can do crossfire with 1x16 and 1x8 or 2x8 speed pcie slots.

So, current 890FX's and some of the new 990FX's will also have 2x16 speed pcie slots. Make sense?

Here is thread with upcoming Asus mobos. You can see the Sabertooth and Crosshair V both have dual 16 speed pcie slots.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676953

Last edited:
yes, thanks, but dang.

if i start out with a 6850 for $150... add $50 for a high end mobo, assume i can find another 6850 for $100 down the road....

i'd be better off just spending $300 on a card now. ARGH! all this started when i found a deal for two 4850's for around $150.

eh, the egg has a couple 6950's in the $220 range....

I like running the HD 5770's in crossfire and am planning to continue to run crossfire in whatever config I build. So, the next gen. AMD mobo's with 2x16pcie are AM3+ built for the Zambezi FX cpu; 8, 6, or 4 cores of hopefully fast processing, but also compatible with AM3 cpu's. I won't upgrade until the Zambezi FX's are seeing some reviews, and the mobo's get some hours. But regardless of upgrade path I will stick with the dual 16 lane pcie slots for the crossfire capability. My 890FX in sig runs really well. Both of them do, but the crossfirex16 is good, scales well with the 5770's.

What I am saying is to wait until the new cpu/mb's get some airplay and then the prices should drop(they already are) for Phenoms/AM3 mobo's then look at your options. As far as AMD goes, limbo is the word. Calm before the storm? Hah:p

Back