• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED what is the best choice for LED/LCD display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToRpEdA667

Registered
HI there at the momment i have a 42' LG full hd pluged in to my PC.
Somehow i find the texture a bit out of sharpnes in the OS as well in games.
The display was orginaly bought for TV use. Im running it on 1920/1080 .
Im going to change my 2x4870 to either1x6950 with flashed bios 6970 2gb or 2x6870 .as well im looking at geting a new display and im getting a bit confused with the prices and diferences between TV displays and monitors. what are the values i should be looking at .refresh rate ??at the moment 60hz / contrast ratio ?? Any advices very welcome overclockers:attn: :attn:

Basically, when it comes to buying a monitor you want to get the highest refresh rate possible, the lowest response time possible (usually 2ms), and the highest contrast ratio possible. A smaller pixel pitch is nice, and so it a higher max brightness. Other than that, just look for monitors with good reviews.

The only other thing that is good to know is that there are different technologies out there. The best looking monitors use IPS technology, but fewer of them are made and they are much more expensive. Here's a list of the IPS monitors available right now. http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Didint know about IPS technology still. Other than that wich is the most important value that makes the biggest difference in picture ?? you see because in uk where im based th prices for pc monitors advertised products are much higher that tv advertised products if you kno what i mean. Therefore i was wondering if there are any other values to take in consideration apart from ones you have mentioned. I would like at least a 30' display from the link you have gave me i can see there is not many of IPS based monitors with that size and the prices :shock: .even if! im srugling to find any one from US to ship to uk. im wating for newegg to respond. thanks for the info bro :rock::rock::rock:

so what is the better choice>?? widescreen 16:9 32" LED tv or a 24" monitor with better values. quite used to a big screen but sometimes i feel i could get better quality from a smaller monitor,.. any advices ???

Waaay too many variables to give you a definitive answer. I've sepnt the better part of two months researching my next upgrade. It hopefully arrives today and I can at least say whether or not it works for my needs. But that's the issue -- people can only comment on what they have first hand experience with. It's not like a monitor is something you buy a new one of every month, so you have to rely heavily on reviews and specs. Brands, specs, size, personal preferences all play a part. Each has numerous variables, so the combinations get mind boggling quick. It's an educated crap shoot.

so what is the better choice>?? widescreen 16:9 32" LED tv or a 24" monitor with better values. quite used to a big screen but sometimes i feel i could get better quality from a smaller monitor,.. any advices ???

What make/models?

Yeah iv got realy hard time choosing my new display.
Ones im compareing still are :
LG W2361V-PF Full HD TFT LCD 23" HDMI
SAMSUNG LE32C530
32" LCD TV

there was a better 32" LED LG tv with 2.000.000:1 contrast ratio and 5 ms response full hd but its gone now from currys site . goshh i wish i could ship some componetnts from us :(

The LG is very similar to the LG I bought (e2350v). I got mine for $170 shipped from tiger direct, but I only got it because at that price it's a good deal. It's a 1 year old model but does look sweet, comparable to the supposedly higher quality IPS LG 23" I was looking at Microcenter for $80+ more.

I'm skeptical of the Samsung you linked to since they didn't have a lot of the technical specs for the display, focusing more on the inputs and other features. It would also seem like $200 is better than $600 in terms of what you're getting for the money. If you don't need a TV, then pocket that cash.

Pinky you think il be happy with a 24" after gaming on 42" with consoles ?? the quality of the display dhough defo need upgrading.I think il choose from the range of 24" monitors maby il find one wtih IPS
Thanks for advice Pinky

If you sit close enough to the 24" it may even improve your gaming experience. I know gaming from across the living room on the 42" isn't nearly as immersive.

IPS panels are considered superior quality, but typically cost much more. You may or may not NEED a IPS monitor. Response times and contrast ratios are probably the specs to be most concered about, and of course if the monitor has a history of backlight bleed along the edges stay away.

Thanks for all that. Im sitting to close to my 42" then i think :) Il start looking for a new monitor hopefully il find one with IPS tehlology but i dont think it will be necessery still if il be sitting in the "sweet spot"
Thanks for all overclockers :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back