• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surge protection.Do you use it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surge Protection? Yes/no?

• Total voters
i learn the hard way some time back, no surge protector and got a surge blew my ocz modstream pro to the grave

surgw protector all the way

I definitely use surge protectors!! my motherboard even features surge protection, however If I had the money I would buy a UPS that would not only prevent surges and unexpected shutdowns but clean my power.

Sounds like me:)
I actually have two ups's but they can't hold the load of either of my computers so I use them for the network stuff and other various things.

I use surge protection, but I'm in the process of migrating to battery backups throughout the household (all APC for now, but looking around at other brands as well).

I have triple protection - a PC P&C Pro Source UPS I reviewed for jonnyGURU.com, surge protected power strip, and the MOV built into the Enermax 1020W :)

I didn't see Cyberpower on the list. IMHO, the 1500AVR remains one of the best UPS units on the market today.

As we're off-grid, we have building-wide lighting protection at the source and don't have any line surges, but heavy starting loads from AC motors like refrigerators and freezers will cause a very brief voltage drop. We therefore use UPS units with AVR on all sensitive electronics.

Surge protector inside the house breaker boxes.
Besides having generally stronger surge protection than plug in strips they are
so much more convenient and cheaper as well.Whole house protectors are the way to go man!
Also most big chain hardware stores will carry them too.
Use that for protection and a ups for peace of mind to prevent data loss and you get power conditioning as well.

uhh, some cheap dollar general power strips, one plugged into another in some areas lol

uhh, some cheap dollar general power strips, one plugged into another in some areas lol

It really isn't funny.Many people have lost their lives because of this practice along with the Firemen and Police who show up to save the owners.Replace the wall outlet with one that allows you to plug in more strips.Get one rated for the line it's connected to and you will be fine.For example if the breaker box says 20 amps on that particular line,buy at least a 15 amp outlet and live longer.

Last edited:
whole house

had to have new 200 amp service panel and weatherhead put in...had a whole house suppressor put in , I sleep better

Yup. Actually have several - Belkin, GE, and one built into an APC UPS. Right now I'm in a different room using a radioshack protector. It's one of those things I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

When I first started messing around with pc's I never heard of them. Then I saw one and thought it would be cool adding another piece of hardware into the mix for bragging rights, lol. It looked cool enough having my pc, monitor, router, speakers hooked up to it, but then I read how valuable it was just to have one. Now I have several all around my apartment ;)

My apartment has a modern switch/fuse box panel for xtra security as well.

Yup. Actually have several - Belkin, GE, and one built into an APC UPS. Right now I'm in a different room using a radioshack protector. It's one of those things I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

Radio Shack has a nice line of strips available right now. I bought three for my mom's apartment.14 gauge/15 amp power cable, medium joule rating and good build quality.Well priced when on sale.

While surge supressors are great, People commonly forget that even they are prone to failure during large surges. Say the types of surges that happen after power is restored after a blackout in some cases. At the same time under voltage can have nasty effects on some sensitive electronics as well.

I perfer to stick with a nice UPS these days (EATON ftw). Most moderately priced units have good protection for all three circumstances. Low voltage, Over Voltage, and Power On surges associated with blackouts or heavy load draw units that need to be turned on in series and not parallel. The better units support cold starts, auto resume for devices that have a startup sequence, and automatic battery maintenance. Automatic battery maintenance for multi-celled batteries is really a cost saver. It can make the difference between a battery lasting 1-2 years and 5 years.

BTW theres really no better way to prevent surge damage post blackout than shutting the strips off or unplugging them till after the power comes back on. It takes a few minutes extra, but it can really pay off.

I'm a big Tripplite fan. I've been using their products for a long time and I've always been impressed. The ISOBAR strips are relatively inexpensive, provide very good surge protection, and even have a line filtration stage built in.

Back