• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NZXT Sentry LXE Fan Controller Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey hey! Nice review!!!!

Its a shame that sample showed those issues, still looks pretty neat. More power /channel would certainly help broaden the market a little bit to the enthusiast level who tend to use more powerful fans eclipsing the 10W mark.

Great job man! :clap:

If I was building a pretty system I'd get one of these. It's definitely the coolest looking fan controller I've seen. Most of the time, I choose function over looks though with computer parts, so I'd have to take a controller that can handle some screamers!

Nice review though! Definitely covered all the bases and more.

Matt

Thanks guys.

If anyone has any questions or can think of something I forgot about, then please let me know and I'll post what feedback I can.

The second minor issue, more of an annoyance really, is that whenever the fan controller is turned on, all the fans spin at max speed then slowly wind down to the set speed.

Matt, I think this is by design, cause if the fan was set on low speed or low voltage, certain fan will not start at that low setting when powered on with that level, thats why they implemented the "kick start" mechanism to boost them at higher speed on the 1st time.

Now, probably the "kick start" period is too long that makes it quite annoying, its subjective though, how long does it take for that speed up process ?

Anyway, very nice review, thanks ! :thup:

Last edited:
Yeah, some fans have a higher start up voltage than minimum operating voltage. So, you're probably right about the "kick start" mechanism.

Of course, the time it takes to spin down to whatever speed is set depends on how low you have them set. I had them set around 1500 RPM, so it would take about 45 seconds for the fans to reach their set speed from 3100 RPM at start up. The fans slowly decrease in speed by 100 RPM every 3-4 seconds or so.

I could just be used to my FC5V2, which doesn't have a "kick start" mechanism.

Added an author update to the article as NZXT sent over another sample since the first one was probably defective. Turns out that was the case, so the product has now received an "Approved" rating from Mattno55s.

Thanks for putting in the extra work to test the second sample Matt!

UPDATE [1:30 p.m. - June 20, 2011]:Since this NZXT Sentry LXE review was written, we have had the chance to test another sample of the fan controller. NZXT was certain we received a defective unit and sent us another sample to be sure that's all it was and nothing more serious that may need addressed. Over the past week or so I've done 10-20 on/off cycles per day with the new Sentry LXE, and after over ~100 on/off cycles, I could not reproduce what I was seeing with the first sample. There will always be a small percentage of defective products from any manufacturer making any product, and we were one of those unlucky people to receive a defective product. Since the only real issue with this controller was the effect of a defective product, the Sentry LXE can now wear the Overclockers.com stamp of approval!

Overclocks_app-small1.png

No problem, thanks for adding the update for me :thup:

Now you just gotta learn my forum name :p

Setting the Temperature

What I would like to know is can I set the temperature for each fan in automatic mode?

Same Fan problems ...

Hey i bought it today and i recreated the exact same problem on FAN 3 twice.
Now, i can't ask for a new one because i buyed it from some other guy :/
for some reason my fan can go 1700RPM connected to the mobo, when i conect it to the NZXT Sentry LXE , i can only have 300 RPM max. thats is just not right ... :(
i got a question about the sensors ... do you have any pictures where you taped them? the apropriate places like for CPU , Socket , NB VRM ?
that would be helpful.

i think the sensors are not showing the right temps, and not fast enough ... they might be wrong with 10 to 15 °c ... thats a lot.

Thanks.

I've been looking at getting one of these but have been holding off because of several negative reviews.

Maybe Im blind but did that article specify what the max wattage per fan per channel was?

I've been looking at getting one of these but have been holding off because of several negative reviews.

Maybe Im blind but did that article specify what the max wattage per fan per channel was?

Well to be honest i'm not sure what to think about it ... I have one and i'm not sure those temps are accurate ... no way the cpu temp is accurate 10-15 °C to high or to low so idk, and the respond time is SLOW, maybe i have a faulty product ....

Back