• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Furmark really kill video cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know about ATI, but Kepler's power capping should make workarounds (throttle for specific applications) unnecessary, since the GPU now monitors its own current draw, and slows itself down if it goes above the design limit. I believe Intel is doing the same thing now, too.

So if a game is as demanding as Furmark (extremely unlikely), it will be throttled, too. It just doesn't make sense for NVIDIA/ATI (and partners) to spend $20 more on a heatsink of a $50 card just so it can run Furmark at full speed, when no "real world" application can load a card like that.

Don't most people use Furmark for OC stability testing?

Isn't the Furmark-throttling like Intel throttling people for using Linpack? :mad:

Don't most people use Furmark for OC stability testing?

Isn't the Furmark-throttling like Intel throttling people for using Linpack? :mad:

Its not the GPU chip its self, its the PCB and the bits that are on it which could get over loaded, PCB's are not designed to run everything screaming in agony, Many AMD and nVidia GPU's have been killed by Furmark.

Its completely unrealistic. A GPU will never do that in the real world.

The same will happen to a Motherboard on P95 if it has weakness.

Its not that GPU PCB's are inherently weak, there not, there just an entirely different thing.

I use benches like 3DMark and Uniqe Heaven to stress test, no game will push a GPU harder. i will never use Furmark.

I use benches like 3DMark and Uniqe Heaven to stress test, no game will push a GPU harder. i will never use Furmark.

It appeared to have just gotten worse!

It now looks like a power-capping system is in development that will also punish people for using 3D Mark and possibly anything more than granny games! :mad:

This looks like something that was possibly made intentionally for the purpose of planned obsolescence..

It appeared to have just gotten worse!

I don't know about ATI, but Kepler's power capping should make workarounds (throttle for specific applications) unnecessary, since the GPU now monitors its own current draw, and slows itself down if it goes above the design limit. I believe Intel is doing the same thing now, too.

It now looks like a power-capping system is in development that will also punish people for using 3D Mark and possibly anything more than granny games! :mad:

I personally still run GPUtool from techpowerup for GPU stability testing, it's pretty much the same thing as furmark but it doesn't give you unreasonable situations to test in.

you could compare GPUtool as the Prime95 of GPUtesting. in the sense that It will give you a worst case scenario situation and will find errors if they are there and you can see what temp your card will top out at, but they will not burn your components un-naturally hard to find the problems.
(unlike furmark or linx)

obviously this is a personal prefence and everyone has their own.

Last edited:
I personally still run GPUtool from techpowerup for GPU stability testing, it's pretty much the same thing as furmark but it doesn't give you unreasonable situations to test in.

you could compare GPUtool as the Prime95 of GPUtesting. in the sense that It will give you a worst case scenario situation and will find errors if they are there and you can see what temp your card will top out at, but they will not burn your components un-naturally hard to find the problems.
(unlike furmark or linx)

obviously this is a personal prefence and everyone has their own.

I will have a look at GPUtool, thanks :)

And IBT is reasonable for CPU cores. Prime95 is inefficient in core testing, sorry. :(

While Core Damage is not a reasonable test. Core Damage is 32-bit only.
Core Damage don't have error checking.

Prime95 is a waste of time for CPU core testing. I realized that for 10 hours of Prime95, I can find out in 30 minutes!

I don't need to run my PC overnight for Linpack. :thup:

Last edited:
I will have a look at GPUtool, thanks :)

Np :thup: it's a really lightweight program as well and requires no installation to the system.
don't try to use the overclocking capabilities btw, just use it for stability testing.

And IBT is reasonable for CPU cores. Prime95 is inefficient in core testing, sorry. :(

Prime95 is a waste of time for CPU core testing. I realized that for 10 hours of Prime95, I can find out in 30 minutes!

I don't need to run my PC overnight for Linpack. :thup:

Personally I've never run into any problems if Prime95 couldn't detect them.
10 hours for core testing is not typical. small fft 30mins-1hour is enough to find that out

I typically run it for 6-8hours on blend for a final system stability test. lately even 24. (which imo is totally overkill but i'm waiting for parts to arrive so i might as well kill time making sure.)
Yet on the other hand I've also ran it for 30 minutes on some of my OCs and if they passed that test I never ran into any BSOD or strange behavior.
It's just what works for you mainly I guess.

Last edited:
What I'm taking from this is that if your 570 survives a few hours of Furmark without releasing the magic smoke, then it can probably survive anything else?

I Furmarked the crap out of my 570 when clocking it -- from the sound of things I got lucky. I've only ever had the one 570 but have heard vanilla 570s like mine have notoriously underbuilt power sections.

Personally I've never run into any problems if Prime95 couldn't detect them.
10 hours for core testing is not typical. small fft 30mins-1hour is enough to find that out

I had flaky OCs with Prime95 failing at 2 hours. So I never gave it the clear until at least a 4 hour run.

I had flaky OCs with Prime95 failing at 2 hours. So I never gave it the clear until at least a 4 hour run.

yeah me too apart from that I've never seen a system crash on my final tests beyond the 30 minute marker, by then I typically have the settings dialed down quite tightly

lets try not to hijack the thread too much since it was about gpu stress testing :p
I typically run it for 6-8hours on blend for a final system stability test. lately even 24. (which imo is totally overkill but i'm waiting for parts to arrive so i might as well kill time making sure.)

Last edited:
Using Prime95 & Furmark managed to make my system pull as high as 525 watts at the plug lol

Cutting close to my Seasonic 500w PSU maybe :sly:

Running folding@home on GPU and CPU and gaming only pulls 333 watts

-- just felt I should add that I found 10 - 12 hours of Prime 95 (using default Blend selection) on my Q6600 did not find any problems having achieved an apparent stable OC

yet I would crash Fast trying to play FarCry 2 I think it was if I remember right from a few years back. (not folding during this time)

Tweaked my CPU voltage a little more and no more crashing :)

Happened more than once while I was checking new OC's

correct me if im wrong, but if gpu's are being throttled during furmark, doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of using furmark which is to test stability at a given clockspeed?

what am I missing? utter bs imo. If people smoke their cards due to careless ignorance, sucks to be them. All these corporations feel obligated to hold peoples hands for some reason. Blizzard comes to mind.

correct me if im wrong, but if gpu's are being throttled during furmark, doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of using furmark which is to test stability at a given clockspeed?

Even while throttled it seems to generate more heat (quickly) than Heaven or a typical game. For quickly finding a max overclock and then working out the bugs from there, you can't beat it.

You might have a crash or two in a game and have to fine tune your clocks, but it's great for giving you an idea of where the "sweet spot" is.

If people smoke their cards due to careless ignorance, sucks to be them.

I lost TWO gtx 570s to the phenomena described by BobNova earlier in this thread :( But while playing a game. Not during furmark.

All these corporations feel obligated to hold peoples hands for some reason. Blizzard comes to mind.

Yes, hand holding ruined MMORPGs. Everquest, too. But we're not all teenagers anymore so some of us need the hand holding these days !

Welcome to the forums, necro klepp !! :welcome: :beer:

Yes, it does. There is really no point in running furmark and furmark based tests Imo.

The only thing Furmark really tests is your cooling system. If your cooling system passes Furmark, it's probably good enough for anything you can throw at it.

It tests the power bits on the card too. That's what used to give way and die.

I got the Gigabyte Radeon 280X rev. 2. When I run Furmark with +20% powertarget, my system just shuts down and boots again after 3 sec. I know this might be due to a insufficient power supply, but mine should handle it well. It is a "be quiet! Straight Power E9-CM 580W". Is it possible, that the card draws so much power? Below are my furmark settings:

900x900px-LL-968984af_furmark.jpeg

GPU temperature never was above 75° C.
I then tested the card in heaven benchmark and everything was fine. Could it be damaged?? How would I notice it?? :(

Back