• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 5870 artifacting weirdness! not hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

Got my xfx hd 5870 up and running today, already having problems :S

In 2 games that i have im getting terrible issues with what appear to be artifacts. In deadspace they are everywhere but in race driver grid, the same pixelated squares appear only under the cars where the shadows should be.
I have put a link to my facebook album where i have put these pics. Saved me creating web hosting account!
In deadspace the artifacts appear everywhere and every now n then they totally disapear for a second or two then they come back.

The card is not overclocked at all and im using Catalyst 11.5 on windows xp 32bit.
I have a 650 watt brand new psu and the rest of my rig is in my signature. My other games play absolutely fine, tomb raider underworld, test drive unlimited, modern warfare, left 4 dead, they all run perfectly with no problem at all so i dont think the card is overheating. It is just those 2 games and it is most severe in deadspace.
Any idea's guys?

Thankyou

Pics:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150187135845666.306846.517420665

Last edited:
Still havent resolved this problem, its driving me mad. Has any1 ever heard of this issue before or seen anything similar from the pics i linked? I'm hoping i wont have to rma, if i dont figure it out in the next couple of hours it looks like im going to have to format and see if that sorts it out!

I was having a similar problem in GRID, I used a AA profile from Radeon pro and it fixed the artifacting for me. Also try hosting images through the ocforums service or something like imageshack.

The games ran ok on my old 2400 pro, frame rates were not great lol. but they ran fine on this operating system. So its not the OS.
Im not sure what u mean by aa profile on radeon pro???
As for hosting, i just wanted to put pics up quickly so used fb account for speed! I dont normally need to put pics up.
I have also checked google for anyone with same problem but cant see anyone suffering the same issue. I've tried different graphics settings in those games etc but nothing seems to work. I'm guna format in a min, Total clean install of everything, get latest drivers etc then give it another go

radeon pro allows you to add settings profiles for games, you have to add the game to the application and choose a antialiasing profile in the "tweaks" tab. There is a default profile for GRID.

Ah ok thanks, im guna do the format, it wont hurt to have a clean system, they always run great just after format :) If it isnt resolved i will try that, thanks alot matey much appreciated

Radeon pro worked wonders for Crysis 2 issues, im sure everyone with a ATI card will agree with me there. So deff give that a shot. that program is hella sweet and i had no idea it existed before pwnmachine ahah let us know if it worked.

Ok well i formated the other day, I have not re-installed any of the games i had problems with, i have been playing fallout 3, call of duty world at war, dirt 2, far cry 2 and wolfenstein. All these games run fantastic, really well at max settings with no artifacts or problems of any kind. Today i installed crysis (the first one) and crysis has the exact same problem i was having with grid and deadspace. I have just done some testing, when i use the preset slider to go thru the settings "low" "medium" "high" ...... If i set it to low, there are no artifacts, when i set it to medium or high then i get those artifacts again. I really cant see this being due to temperature though. I know some games stress a gcard more, therefor make it produce more heat, but no way does a game like grid or deadspace stress the card more than world at war or dirt 2 etc. So the card should be artifacting in those games too if it was down to heat. Temps in crysis reached 45C after 15 minutes of fullscreen gaming at "high" detail setting in 1280 x 1024 with no aa or cf. 45 isnt high enough to worry about overheating on this card i dont think.
I have installed radeon pro, messed with a few setting like turning off catalyst AI as i read that can cause artifacts. Im stuck as to what the problem is now guys, i really am confused and a bit miffed because crysis is one of the games i wanted to play and finally have a system that can play it! I cant though for fear of damaging my card : / Anyone have any idea's what i can do?

You are going to love this...........
Just done some testing with furmark stress test, when i first start the stress test, as its displaying the image i get the EXACT same artifacts, as the temperature of the gpu rises they get less and less, at 56C the artifacts stop totally. This was weird as hell so i decided to test it out in crysis. I opened catalyst control centre and left it on desktop. Ran crysis and the artifacts wouldnt stop, i quickly alt tabbed to desktop and saw gpu temp at 51C. I then set the gpu fan to permanently run at 20%. Then i alt tabbed back into crysis. After 30 seconds the artifacts got fewer and then totally stopped. The game was running artifact free, i alt tabbed back to desktop to see the gpu temp was 68C. As the temperature increases the artifacts stop! Please god gimme some advice on what the hell is going on?? is this a bad card??? why would it only happen in certain games and not all and why the hell does it do it using furmark??!!! It is SO strange and SO annoying.

I have put images on image shack, im guna put a video up of the strange furmark behavoir too! this is really starting to drive me crazy now. just wanted to play some games at decent frames but my normal luck kicks in and here i am with the worlds first card that artifacts UNTIL it gets hot

You are not alone. My 5870 does odd things as well.

Mine does this thing where for a few seconds (more like 30) after starting certain games, black bars will come out of objects and such. However after about 30 seconds it goes away and never returns, even after hours of playing. I've learned to just ignore it.

Back