• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dirt 3 and F1 2010 Don't look as good as they should

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigTerminator

I have DX11 and have Dirt 2,3, F1 2010 and Grid. Dirt 2 looks amazing, like it's using all of DX 11 but Dirt 3 and F1 2010 look like they are only DX 9. Grid is Dx9 and looks better than these two in DX9. I checked the config files and force DX 9 is disable but I don't see and where to select DX 11. These games look bad and there needs to be a reason why. I maxed out all settings. I see all the videos of Dirt 3 and they look amazing so what's going on with my system?

It's not the drivers, I'm on the latest set. Plus Dirt 2 has been looking amazing since my 5770 with much older drivers. I'm on 11.5.

I think the first 3 images look crappy compared to the last 3 images. The textures appear to suck (very flat) and the reflections/lighting isn't as good.

I think there is nothing wrong. what do you expect from these games?

I expect the same graphics I got from Dirt 2 at least. Dirt 3 doesn't look as good but MSI OSD does state it's running in DX 11 mode so I don't know what's wrong. The Dirt 2 screenshots look much more colorful and textures are much crisper.

That looks like a filter on the game. Unless there is an option to change that, you are stuck with it. It is simply what they wanted it to look like.

I agree that Dirt 2 looks better, including the game field and UI.

Make sure there isn't any kind of vignette filter applied to Dirt 3. A lot of these new games like Shogun 2 and The Witcher 2 seem to think people like it so it is enabled by default. Dirt 3 might have it as well.

I expect the same graphics I got from Dirt 2 at least. Dirt 3 doesn't look as good but MSI OSD does state it's running in DX 11 mode so I don't know what's wrong. The Dirt 2 screenshots look much more colorful and textures are much crisper.

you should take static pictures to make a good comparison, most of them were taken on the move, and i see the terrain blurred by motion blur.

anyway it looks like dirt 3 doesn't have bumpmapping on. (i could be mistaken though, but the only texture i was able to carefully inspect showed a flat terrain)

and there is not that much bloom that there was in dirt2.
(depends also on where the light source is though)
Bloom makes you think it is all nicer =) but it is not an effect that light makes also in real world.

One last advice, if a game supports DX11 it does in no way mean it has better graphics. a dx9 engine can do whatever (to some extent) a dx11 engine does.
it is just more difficult and not so efficient. it really depends on the features that have been implemented but most of all it is down to the devs abd the use they make out of it.

Next time you buy a game don't buy it just for graphics.
Games lately do not tend to evolve in graphic quality since we are pretty much limited by the console market.

i thought they did a damn good job with dirt 3, gfx are just as good if not better than dirt 2, but more importantly MUCH more efficient!

I just want Dirt 3 to look as good as Dirt 2. Dirt 3 shouldn't be worse than a game made 2 years ago. They need to patch the game because there several flaws with the game. it won't even save my joystick setting or automatically let you sign into Windows live. I've seen videos of Dirt 3 on the Xbox and it looks amazing. I know DX 11 doesn't mean good graphics off the bat, but Dirt 2 looked amazing. I know Stalker COP looked like a DX 8 game and that was DX 11. Does anyone else who has this game have the same graphics as me or is it just my video card? I'm even running RadeonPro and made a profile to put the highest AA and AF, texture quality and forced it into running in only DX 11.

Dirt 3 and F1 2010 look like they are only DX 9. Grid is Dx9 and looks better than these two in DX9.

Maybe DX8.1! ;)

Because DX9 sometimes don't look better than DX8.1
and sometimes I can't tell from DX7! :cry:

A lot of stuff was introduced with DX8.1 and it seems that not much has been changed.

I never trusted Codemasters. as a gaming company they are mediocre. expecting excellent games from them won't happen until pigs fly.

the only good thing about dirt2 is that candy like graphics. which i hate . . .

I turned it on low and it actually took out some blurriness and made it crisper. The game's environments still look bad but the car models improved a bit. Thanks for the tip.

Looks like with the graphics of the first 3, it's trying to use stuff that the graphics card don't have.

I have a similar interesting experience with Dirt 3 - although I don't have any complaints with regards to the graphics - Dirt 2 does indeed hold it's own visually when comparing the two games. My oddity is that if I run the game at Ultra settings, I get 11FPS. If I then go into the settings and change the shadows from Ultra to High (merely reducing the blurry edges of the shadows themselves) - I get 40-50FPS. I would guess it's using a feature that my 460 doesn't have?

Back