• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati Drivers problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach13

Registered
Hey, i just built my own custom pc, and booted it just fine. Installed windows 7 32 bit and everything was working grand, installed all the mobo drivers and all was well, then i installed the graphics card drivers and rebooted, when it rebooted it started up then after a minute or two this grey or blue screen covers the screen and i can do nothing. I've tried using a different display to the same degree of failure. Please help all suggestions welcome!!

My system Specs are;
Asus p8p67 mobo
intel i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
Radeon HD 5850 GPU
4gb kingston hyperx 1600Mhz

Thank You

sorry forgot to mention it takes 3-4 cold boots again for it to start up with the display working, tried using system restore and installing earlier drivers but still no use. Please Help.

Pull the video card out and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't run a memtest on your ram sticks one stick at a time to see if there's anything wrong with one of them.

I cant pull my video card out because the mobo, the P8P67 LE doesnt have a video out, i can system restore to before i put the drivers on to use the computer fine, how do i memtest the ram? its the display driver that is causing the problem and every version of it is doing the same thing :\ Do hotfixes work? if so how should i go about installing them? plus im using win 32 bit, should i install win 64 bit? as 32 bit isnt picking up half my ram anyway. the blue screen doesnt say anything, its just a blue screen and nothing works...

Thanks for your response

I cant pull my video card out because the mobo, the P8P67 LE doesnt have a video out, i can system restore to before i put the drivers on to use the computer fine, how do i memtest the ram? its the display driver that is causing the problem and every version of it is doing the same thing :\ Do hotfixes work? if so how should i go about installing them? plus im using win 32 bit, should i install win 64 bit? as 32 bit isnt picking up half my ram anyway. the blue screen doesnt say anything, its just a blue screen and nothing works...

Thanks for your response

What a predicament you have your self in here. Well for running memtest you download the program (memtest86.com) and run the program from a USB. And I always recommend a 64-bit OS for a couple reasons the biggest being RAM and program compatibility.

How do you know for sure it's the drivers and not the memory? If it really is the driver and you can't get into the pc to uninstall it you'll have to go ahead and reformat the pc and start fresh.

Before i installed the drivers everything was fine. i can just system restore to before the drivers were installed. just now was playing about with a few things after doing a system restore, and i installed driect x, and microsoft c++ redistrubutable 2008 and after watching a youtube video in full screen after i exited full screen it crashed again, just showing a grey/blue screen. Will try memtest now. Thanks

Like I said the best bet maybe to reformat. Just because you've done a system restore doesn't mean the driver has actually uninstalled it's self. In a folder in your pc programs hold onto them selves so if you uninstall a program by accident you can system restore back to when it was installed.

Another words there's a good chance that even though you're not seeing the driver it's still there. It's better to start fresh.

Ok thanks for the advice, will be starting fresh tonight, total re-format with 64bit insted, heres to hoping it solves my problem, will let you know if it does

Ok, so today i bought a new gpu a geforce 210, just to fill in until i buy a better one again. Re installed with windows 64 bit and everything is fine! :)
turns out it was a faulty gpu, will be returning it immideatly, Thank you for all your help! :) :D

Hi, need help again. So my new Radeon HD5850 came today and i took the geforce 210 out and put the 5850 in and put all the cables in but am getting no video out? could it be something to do with the nvidia drivers that are currently installed? i also tried it in my brothers system, he currently has an HD 3000 series card installed and he got no video out either, the systems both started fine, and i think the card is powering up as the fan is turning on etc. please help!

You started fresh with the Nvidia card and everything was fine, then you tried to install AMD cards again while you were on a non-clean OS. (in both systems)

While normally this isn't an issue with proper cleaning it sounds like a driver issue to me completely. Why don't you try booting into safe mode on either system with the 5850? Just press F8 while booting up (or right before the windows screen). Or do you get no video out the entire POST? If you get into windows in safe mode this is because the OS is ignoring installed video drivers and using windows basic VGA drivers.

Another possible issue is power, what PSU are you using?

I'm using a crosair 650w psu, and my brother a 750w psu, so i dont think power at all is a problem. the systems are starting up fine because the keyboard lights turn on as they normally would and its all fine. We arent getting any video output whatsoever we've been trying the hdmi on it and using a DVI to hdmi convertor because we wernt sure whether you can use the HDMI before installing the drivers or not.

Just out of curiosity, why did you install a 32 bit win7?

I agree with vixro. If you can get video up with a different card you need to clean the drivers and let windows restart and load their default video driver for the 5850 and then install the the ATI drivers.

I'm using win 64 bit. i downloaded and installed the 5800 series drivers from the website and the card still isn't showing any video out :(

Even wiping all the drivers and restarting win7 you still get no output? Does win7 not see and load drivers for the card? What card did you use to load win7x64?

Ok, so I wiped all video drivers for all my cards, then used the basic VGA drivers from my nvidia geforce 210 to install the 5800 series drivers then switched to the 5850 and no video out... :S its really frustrating.

You installed nVidia drivers before you installed the ATI card?

You should have NOT installed any drivers after wiping the system. You should just install the ATI card and boot to windows. If it can. Windows will install it's own driver and you can see from there if your card is going to work. If windows doesn't see it or if it still has no video out, I would say you have a GPU issue. This is not normal.

If it works with the win7 driver, you can go ahead and install the CCC and you should be good to go.

Back