Heatware Profile

Friend sent me this "build" list

LINK

My friend has been wanting to build him self a pc and didn't believe me when I said it's possible to build an acceptable pc for gaming at a budget of $600+.

He ended up sending me this link here of a guy who composed a list of "budget" builds. Thought I'd share with the group and see what you guys think of this other persons work.
    AsRock™ Extreme4
    Intel™ i5 2500k + 4.5GHz
    Hyper 212+, Lian-Li Case
    WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200RPM
    Windows 7 HB 64x
    G.Skill™ Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600MHz
    Lim. Edition Patriots 2x4GB 1600MHz
    Corsair 850W TX
    GTX 670 - 2GB

HEATWARE

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbert View Post
    LINK

My friend has been wanting to build him self a pc and didn't believe me when I said it's possible to build an acceptable pc for gaming at a budget of $600+.

He ended up sending me this link here of a guy who composed a list of "budget" builds. Thought I'd share with the group and see what you guys think of this other persons work.
    I dont think a lot of that link. Clocks and cores are the issue here and this guy (writer) just fell for the spin.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver i7 3740QM T530
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
    Test Bed - In flux

Heatware Profile
    Looks like he (like many) seem to forget the $100 price on Windows 7 alone.
    "There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong,
    or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no
    patience for useless things."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLord View Post
    Looks like he (like many) seem to forget the $100 price on Windows 7 alone.
    +1. He is not going Linux on a gaming rig.

The choice of video cards makes me shudder. I would get a second job before I used any of those choices for a gaming rig.
    "If you consider the entertainment value of armageddon, the future doesn't seem all that dim."

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    I dont think he will want to game on that i3. If he is concerned about price that much, he could either look into used stuff, or just accept that he wont have a blazing fast machine.

I would personally recommend:

amd 955 phenom 2 x4 3.2ghz quad
    4gb 1600mhz g skill ram
    gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H mobo
    typical 6870 for 180 after MIR)
    Antec PSU
    WD Black 1tb drive

dvd optical drive: 25.00

thats around 590 bucks (I forgot to add it all up)... just need to pick a case for it...
    Gaming / Streaming Rig:
    CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2
    Cooler: NH-12U
    RAM: GSkill 1600Mhz 12GB
    Mobo: Asus R3E
    GPU: MSI R9 290x
    Storage: OS: Adata 128GB SSD Data: 4 x 1TB in RAID5
    Case:800D
    PSU: Revolution 85+ 1020w

Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by oakstave View Post
    The choice of video cards makes me shudder. I would get a second job before I used any of those choices for a gaming rig.
    I noticed this as well. I tried to explain this to Mike (friend) but what would I know I've only built 7-8 computers >_>;
    AsRock™ Extreme4
    Intel™ i5 2500k + 4.5GHz
    Hyper 212+, Lian-Li Case
    Windows 7 HB 64x
    Corsair 850W TX
    GTX 670 - 2GB

HEATWARE

I can honestly say a SSD is far and away the best upgrade you can do on any modern PC. If you spend $1000 on a computer, you should budget for an SSD.
    Quigsby
    Rig 1: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L / Intel E8400 w/ Rosewill cooler / Antec 900 / 2GBx2 OCZ SLI PC800 / EVGA 9600GT / Cooler Master 750W
    Rig 2: abit IP35-E / Intel E8500 w/ HDT-S1383 / Chenming case / 2GBx2 G.Skill 1066 / 60GB OCZ Agility + WD640 / EVGA 8800GS / Fortron 500W Blue Storm
    Heatware

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigsby View Post
    I can honestly say a SSD is far and away the best upgrade you can do on any modern PC. If you spend $1000 on a computer, you should budget for an SSD.
    Why?

Great list for the writer. How can I sneakily use my content to sterr my readers to paid links by making them think I know what I am talking about....

At least his site wasn't about mesothelioma....

Another good thing about the drive is that it is the .12 version of the Barracuda's the older .11 and prior were not as great and didn't last as long
    Who here thinks the author did research and who thinks he just thought, "Well, 12 is higher, so it must be better?"
    Vote the Goat in 2012

Heatware under druidelder

*Disclaimer* I am only human and may make mistakes. Nothing I say is gold. Feel free to correct any misinformation I may spew.

SSDs have absolutely no effect on a strong majority of games. You're game might start up faster, but the fps would be the same. Videocard and/or cpu upgrades are better than an SSD upgrade where gaming is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by druidelder View Post
    Who here thinks the author did research and who thinks he just thought, "Well, 12 is higher, so it must be better?"
    if anything the .11 drives are being more reliable than the .12s for me, so i doubt there was any research done there.
    This is not the signature you are looking for.

Please Fold For Team32!

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Yeah I agree the author of that article was talking out of his stinkhole. Horrible advice for someone trying to build a machine...
    Gaming / Streaming Rig:
    CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2
    Cooler: NH-12U
    RAM: GSkill 1600Mhz 12GB
    Mobo: Asus R3E
    GPU: MSI R9 290x
    Storage: OS: Adata 128GB SSD Data: 4 x 1TB in RAID5
    Case:800D
    PSU: Revolution 85+ 1020w

Heatware Profile
    Hopefully you guys don't mind but I'm gonna go ahead and link this thread back to my friend, I don't like to give him a "harsh" reality but he needs to see from other people who know what their talking about as well or he's just gonna end up buying this gear and realizing what a mistake he made.

I did this a while back when I bought my first dual core set up... fell for some guy one youtube saying what a great budget gaming build it would be... to this day I regret not doing more research but after all if I hadn't bought that lousy set up it never would've lead me here.
    Last edited by Ronbert; 05-28-11 at 07:46 AM.
    AsRock™ Extreme4
    Intel™ i5 2500k + 4.5GHz
    Hyper 212+, Lian-Li Case
    Windows 7 HB 64x
    Corsair 850W TX
    GTX 670 - 2GB

HEATWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonkin View Post
    SSDs have absolutely no effect on a strong majority of games. You're game might start up faster, but the fps would be the same. Videocard and/or cpu upgrades are better than an SSD upgrade where gaming is concerned.
    The point is, if I was to spend $1k on a computer, it would have an SSD. It's just night and day. Sure, it doesn't help with graphics in a game, but it helps pretty much everything else.
    Quigsby
    Rig 1: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L / Intel E8400 w/ Rosewill cooler / Antec 900 / 2GBx2 OCZ SLI PC800 / EVGA 9600GT / Cooler Master 750W
    Rig 2: abit IP35-E / Intel E8500 w/ HDT-S1383 / Chenming case / 2GBx2 G.Skill 1066 / 60GB OCZ Agility + WD640 / EVGA 8800GS / Fortron 500W Blue Storm
    Heatware

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    The point is, if I was to spend $1k on a computer, it would have an SSD. It's just night and day. Sure, it doesn't help with graphics in a game, but it helps pretty much everything else.
    I must agree. I have no use for an SSD in my Home rigs but I will not deny that they offer something that will cost more to try and match with massive amounts of memory and multiple raids (you can get close). I personally prefer the raids and ram but for everyday people you really will not find another upgrade that makes as much visible difference everywhere.

I have been considering one for my netbook and laptop.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver i7 3740QM T530
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
    Test Bed - In flux

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
    I must agree. I have no use for an SSD in my Home rigs but I will not deny that they offer something that will cost more to try and match with massive amounts of memory and multiple raids (you can get close). I personally prefer the raids and ram but for everyday people you really will not find another upgrade that makes as much visible difference everywhere.

I have been considering one for my netbook and laptop.
    I third this sentiment.