• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't up cpu volts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capttripppp

I don't know why this is but my bios will not allow me to up the volts. I have tried just about everything but I can not get it from auto to manual. Also when I oc I can only get my cpu up to 3526 and no higher, is that because I need to raise my volts? or? Everything is in my sig. Thanks for any help

on my msi 890fxa-gd65 mobo you have to highlight cpu voltage and use the +/- keys or type in the volts you would like to use. hope this helped. not sure about your board though.

That did it, thanks dude I appreciate it. I must have read the manual and done everything else I could think of at least 4 or 5 times. and to think that it was sooooo easy !!!

It has to be this board........ Errr.... I can't get my fsb over 222! I put it to 223 or higher and it will not post. Tried upping volts to as far as 1.5, temps remain in the 30-32 C range according to bios and HW monitor. I can't really think of anything else to do to get it to go higher. I am thinking the board but it very well could be me!!! Any advice on helping me OC this thing is appreciated. I am at the point of just pretty much buying a new board AM3+, but I was going to wait until some more were released. I don't know.... Any advice?

capttripppp,

Temps is only one issue. There are a number of parameters that need attention as you begin to increase the fsb because when you overclock using the fsb several other frequencies begin to rise and quickly get too far out of stable range:

1. the HT Link frequency. You want to keep this from exceeding 2000 with th Athlon II CPUs. Anywhere from 1800 to 2000 is a good range. Set it to 9x in bios.
2. the NB frequency. You want to keep this from exceeding 2600 but maybe less depending on other overclock parameters.
3. the ram speed. Overclocking the fsb also speeds up the ram. Because of that you want to lower the ram speed in bios before you start to overcock.

If you will attach pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" we'll be able to help you more.

Here are the shots your asked for. Any OC's that I am trying to reach I don't plan to use 24/7. I would just like to benchmark whatever I can to get the hang of it then after BD comes out I am going to decide on BD or SB for benching rig. Either way any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• cpuid.PNG
    cpuid.PNG
    92.2 KB · Views: 82
This SS is showing everything with these settings: FSB:230 CPU NB:x9 2070 FSB/DRAM 1:2:66 HT Link x5 1150. I just randomly chose x5 for the HT link. I remember reading somewhere or something that should also stay around 1500 - 2000.?

Attachments

• cpuid1.PNG
    cpuid1.PNG
    626.2 KB · Views: 84
You are probably near the stable limit for that CPU, stable as in being able to pass Prime95 for hours, that is. Yes, you will probably need more CPU volts to get a higher clock. It also may help to up the CPU-NB volts to about 1.225 and to bump the RAM voltage to 1.55-1.6. You want to keep your HT Link frequency between 1800 and 2000 or you hard disk and video performance will suffer. So change that to 9x.

Back