• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PartedMagic Locked my HDDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The thread that continues to help! I managed to unlock my drive following the instructions in #11 by King.
I took my harddrive out of the machine, booted using parted magic. Then, once that was booted, I hooked the harddrive (SATA) up to a "SATA/IDE to USB Adapter", plugged it in, and then opened up the Xterm in parted magic (bottom left corner, it's in one of the menus at the bottom; I can't remember which one). Then I just typed in the commands as listed in #11. I had read elsewhere that if you mount the harddrive after POST, the drive doesn't get locked. I know a bit about computers, but this is a bit beyond me, but thanks to google & various discussions, especially this one, I was able to unlock the drive!

I also read a discussion somewhere in which someone stated that using an old version of parted magic which tells you to use "NULL" for the password is the problem. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I was using an old version of parted magic (didn't realize this would be a problem). It's probably worth paying the $5 to get the current version, especially if this would have saved me several hours of trying to figure out how to unlock the hard drive!

Hey. I tried to remove data from my hard disk of a laptop, and because it was broken, he could not clean the disk, it would take several days. Because of that Parted Magic put a password on drive. Now I see only the word "please input password for st1000lm024. " I do not know what to do, I do not need the data on the disk. I just have to endure the password and send it to the warranty. I can not change the boot sequence F2 and F12 does not work. Please help, I check all the pages on the internet, I called Lenovo, Microsoft, tried in various forums and nothing it does not.

Hey. I tried to remove data from my hard disk of a laptop, and because it was broken, he could not clean the disk, it would take several days. Because of that Parted Magic put a password on drive. Now I see only the word "please input password for st1000lm024. " I do not know what to do, I do not need the data on the disk. I just have to endure the password and send it to the warranty. I can not change the boot sequence F2 and F12 does not work. Please help, I check all the pages on the internet, I called Lenovo, Microsoft, tried in various forums and nothing it does not.

Change the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot to the CD first. Boot to the Parted magic CD and then follow the directions in this post:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...cked-my-HDDs?p=6872332&viewfull=1#post6872332

He was asking me in private messages for instructions on how to change boot sequence and i said to change it in the BIOS but i don't think he knows how to so i suggested to try F10 or 11 or 12 (not sure what it is on his computer) during the POST to get to it.

- - - Updated - - -

You could just unplug your drive and leave only the CD drive connected and it should default to it when the BIOS cant find a bootable device and then boot to the CD. Then once you get int othe parted magic GUI you can reattach the drive and that should clear any locked state and allow you to go through the steps to clear the password lock.

He was asking me in private messages for instructions on how to change boot sequence and i said to change it in the BIOS but i don't think he knows how to so i suggested to try F10 or 11 or 12 (not sure what it is on his computer) during the POST to get to it.

- - - Updated - - -

You could just unplug your drive and leave only the CD drive connected and it should default to it when the BIOS cant find a bootable device and then boot to the CD. Then once you get int othe parted magic GUI you can reattach the drive and that should clear any locked state and allow you to go through the steps to clear the password lock.

OK! Parted Magic works:)
I try lshw -c disk and and it shows scsi disk which probably is the drive usb which run Parted Magic. Resolution = 1009mb. Displays a DVD-RW too.
I make photos and put it on dropbox. I think I make something wrong..
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n5wdaj43bl1pfi5/AAA-Hu7m1-PtRH5T9-zcGs47a?dl=0

I think this may be the fact that I used some version of Parted Magic then, and now I use another? I do not remember what version it was then. After inserting the disc a few times after booting Parted Magic it does not unlock the lock state of freeze. after a restart further drive asks for a password. The Parted Magic disc is not visible after reloading it :(

Last edited:
First off, that version of PM looks really old and doesn't seem to be using the GUI you would have when booting to the CD but anyway... The information on the last drive shows that it isn't locked but frozen. The easiest way to fix this is to boot the computer, carefully pull the power cable out of the hard drive, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in. This almost always clears a frozen state. At this point you could reformat the drive and install the operating system as you wish.

The information on the last drive shows that it isn't locked but frozen.
For any of us who don't understand what you mean by frozen vs. locked, (raises hand... :confused:) can you elaborate? Are you suggesting the spindle is frozen?

Am I the only one who is concerned that the drive information in the first picture looks scrambled? Is that a bad copy of parted or is the drive itself scrambled?

For any of us who don't understand what you mean by frozen vs. locked, (raises hand... :confused:) can you elaborate? Are you suggesting the spindle is frozen?

Am I the only one who is concerned that the drive information in the first picture looks scrambled? Is that a bad copy of parted or is the drive itself scrambled?

They are different states that the drive can be in as reported by gparted or partedmagic. Frozen typically means you just need to physically power cycle the drive while the system is on or reconnect the drive after boot up to clear the Frozen state. Locked means there is a password or security that is preventing access and is different than being frozen.

Yes his screen shots don't look right... not sure what he was using there.

They are different states that the drive can be in as reported by gparted or partedmagic. Frozen typically means you just need to physically power cycle the drive while the system is on or reconnect the drive after boot up to clear the Frozen state. Locked means there is a password or security that is preventing access and is different than being frozen.

Yes his screen shots don't look right... not sure what he was using there.
Thanks for explaining. I've never experienced and was unaware of those conditions. The output looks it is from hdparm. It's available on Linux and that's probably what the partedmagic CD boots from. It looks like:
Code:
hbarta@olive ~ $ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sde

/dev/sde:

ATA device, with non-removable media
	Model Number:       ST3200822AS                             
	Serial Number:      3LJ39YHM
	Firmware Revision:  3.01    
Standards:
	Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 2 
	Supported: 6 5 4 
Configuration:
	Logical		max	current
	cylinders	16383	16383
	heads		16	16
	sectors/track	63	63
	--
	CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
	LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
	LBA48  user addressable sectors:  390721968
	Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
	device size with M = 1024*1024:      190782 MBytes
	device size with M = 1000*1000:      200049 MBytes (200 GB)
	cache/buffer size  = 8192 KBytes
Capabilities:
	LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
	Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
	R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16	Current = 16
	Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 0
	DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6 
	     Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
	PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4 
	     Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
	Enabled	Supported: