• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI wall pass-through

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Having a computer in every room for media playback is great but there are times when the PC itself can be an eyesore or in the way.

If you need to hide the PC and access the functionality here is what you can do.

Find a location for the PC such as a closet or even an adjoining room.

This is a home media server mounted above my incomplete pantry:
1007867.jpg

The mission is to use it as a playback device as well as a server. To do this requires less than 100 dollars in parts, screwdriver, box cutter, pencil, something to put a round hole in the wall (I just used a screw and wobbled out the hole because I did not want to wake up the kids with a drill) and two drywall anchors of appropriate size for your faceplate mounting screws.

First you must get the components for this:

The pass through
1007860f.jpg

1007859o.jpg

Two HDMI cables (one from PC to pass through and one from pass-through to TV), Wireless keyboard and mouse and a USB extension cable.

Begin by marking
1007854n.jpg

Next cut your hole with your box-cutter; mind the depth as not to cut any wiring (I have customized this home and run the wiring myself so I am aware of wire placement). Disclaimer for my protection and that of Overclockers Fourms: If you are worried about this read no further as I nor Overclockers Forums are liable for your mistakes.

1007855m.jpg

Next install appropriate mounting anchors
1007857.jpg

1007858.jpg

Attach plate
1007861b.jpg

Run lead from PC to pass through and hook up wireless keyboard/mouse (I had to run my 2.4 Ghz TX/RX unit for the KB/Mouse in the wall with a 4 foot USB extension to avoid the reflective insulation)
1007863.jpg

Install TV
1007870.jpg

1007872j.jpg

1007879l.jpg

A remote power on switch may be needed if your PC is in an inaccessible location such as this unit. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I suggest using Gold plated connectors for all AV work. It makes absolutely no difference in the quality of digital media but they also will not corrode in a harsh environment. Just saying.

For a wall pass-through from one room to another you will need an additional 3 foot HDMI cable.

Any questions? Feel free to ask and I will help in any way I can.

I am trying to get a "Digital Home Mods" sub-forum or forum @ tR and perhaps it might be an idea for OCF as well. I am really not a case mod guy but home integration mod type of guy.

nice, looks very clean,

this sort of thing makes me wish I didnt have brick walls, takes me a lot longer to make holes in mine,

brick has its advantages though

very true, got my 42" screen bolted to the wall now, not sure how (or if) i could do that on plaster board walls.

this new forum section looks pretty interesting, would love to do similar stuff but live at my parents house still do I cant do too much.

As long as the mounting hardware is attached to the studs, you're good to go. I have a 42" plasma wall mounted.

Just don't hammer a nail or wall anchor in the drywall and try to hang the TV like a picture :p

Back