Lamptron FC8 Fan Controller Review

When we last looked at a Lamptron fan controller, it was their flagship/bling model the Lamptron Touch. They've gone the brute force route this time and sent us their new powerhouse, the Lamptron FC8 fan controller.
    ... Return to article to continue reading.

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    This looks more like the kind of fan controller I would want in my build. Something more basic and without all the fancy LCD readouts and such. Just a good, solid, good looking, high wattage fan controller.

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
    Overclockers.com Editor

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Yeah, this thing is a beast. Simple and powerful, I like it
    i7 4770K | ASRock Z87M OC Formula | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | EVGA GTX780 SC ACX | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | SeaSonic X750
    Pentium G3258 | ASUS Z87I-Deluxe | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | 5x2TB RAIDZ | Corsair CX430

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (101-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build

Quote Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
    This looks more like the kind of fan controller I would want in my build. Something more basic and without all the fancy LCD readouts and such. Just a good, solid, good looking, high wattage fan controller.
    Indeed, most of the time the temp readings on the lcd units are so inaccurate. Mostly for aesthetics no functionality. I would give up a high end touch screen controller @5w/channel for a simple 10w/channel controller any day.

OP: Nice review!
    i5 2500k @ 4.8 gHz. 1.3v..................Q9650 @ 4.0 gHz.
    Kingston Hyper 1600mHz 4gb..........XMS3 1600mHz 4gb
    Asus P8P67 Pro B3...........................790i Ultra FTW
    XFX 5970 BE + XFX 5850..................GTX 260 2xSLI
    CM Hyper 212/Thermalright HR-03...Scythe Mugen II
    CM Cosmos S Modified......................NZXT H2
    Custom Maple Gaming Case

Vacationing to find my sanity Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Nice review Hokie! Simple, Powerful, product.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Nice review, been looking for a beast fan controller.
    Case: Corsair 800D
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Z
    CPU: 2500k @ Stock (Custom WC Loop)
    Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB @ 1600
    HD: Crucial M4 64GB (OS) | 300GB WD Raptor
    Video Card: XFX HD 4870 (for now)
    PSU: Corsair HX850

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Thanks for the kind words all!

Registered
    It does look nice. I really like the PWM setup vs.the old resistance based stuff. I'm not sure the solid cap stuff is as needed as say on a motherboard, but for a few extra cents it's nice to see. I'd also be interested in the make/model of the transistors used for the switching, but it's also a nice touch they have diodes for spike protection (should help the life span a decent bit).

All in all it might be one of the few fan controllers I'd be willing to invest in.
    Last edited by bcsizemo; 06-05-11 at 09:00 PM.

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Not sure what he'd be able to gather, but I'll bring that to the attention of Spawne32, our resident lamptron rep, and see if he can find out.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Quote Originally Posted by bcsizemo View Post
    It does look nice. I really like the PWM setup vs.the old resistance based stuff. I'm not sure the solid cap stuff is as needed as say on a motherboard, but for a few extra cents it's nice to see. I'd also be interested in the make/model of the transistors used for the switching, but it's also a nice touch they have diodes for spike protection (should help the life span a decent bit).

All in all it might be one of the few fan controllers I'd be willing to invest in.
    Unfortunately, nobody outside of the inner workings of the company knows what brand parts they use, all the serial numbers and brands are removed from the parts during production to prevent theft of the design.
    Your friendly neighborhood Lamptron customer support representative.

Power Output:Up to 30 watts per channel

That is some uber "pwn-age" there

Folding Team Content Editor
    Who Dolk'd my stars Senior Member
    Author Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by frank anderson View Post
    Power Output:Up to 30 watts per channel

That is some uber "pwn-age" there
    If memory serves me correctly, when the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme came around, it was also rated at 30W per channel. I do have to say the 2 extra channels and the fact that the LED colors can be changed in a much easier fashion than the Rheobus seem to give this one the upper hand. Too bad this wasn't around when I modded my Rheobus 4.
    Water and Air Cooling Lead Senior
    Folding for Team 32 as 8thDeadlySyn Folding in the memory of pscout
    I'm a Team 32 Folding Mentor. Ask me about Folding.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR, Q9550@3.5, 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066, Corsair Force F60, 300 GB Maxtor SATAII, EVGA GTX460 v2
    Laing D5 Vario, D-Tek Fuzion V1, Swiftech MCW60, Swiftech MCRES V2, HWLabs BIX3, 3 Panaflo FBA12G12U's on Rheobus, Primochill LRT black, Antec 900

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Athlon II X3 445, TRU120, 4 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600, 8800GTS 320MB, 320 GB Maxtor Sata, SB Audigy SE
    HEAT - My Folding Stats
    Would you like to see your writing on the front page? Ask me how!

Last edited by m0r7if3r on 1-23-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: I haz uber 1337 h4x0rz 5k1llz