• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 650 for 2 6950s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th3b3ar

Registered
hey everyone i just picked up a second 6950 aas i have read that thay are stoping the ability to flash bios and before i put it in wanted to double and triple check my psu aint gonna blow up running two of these babys oced and voltage+
cheers
psu is coolermaster 650w

A number of reviews I've read on the HD6950 put it in a range between 140W (Idle) and 260W (Load) depending on how far you overclock them.

Here's one: http://www.geeks3d.com/20110117/tested-asus-radeon-hd-6950-2gb-gddr5-review/7/

And another one: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/12/16/ati-radeon-hd-6950-review/10

So two of them would take anywhere from 280W (Idle) to 520W (Load)... And since no one wants their cards to just site there at idle; I think you would be pushing that PSU to its limits.

Let's do some ballpark numbers

1 x CPU: 125W --> This will go higher since you're overclocked.
2 x GPU: 520W --> You have to assume 100% load for the calculation.

Just the CPU and GPUs have you at 645W already and you still need to power your board, the ram, the fans, the pump for the H50, the hard drives, etc. If your PSU were something like a Seasonic 650W, or a Corsair TX650 I would say you're OK... But Coolermaster is not known for great quality PSUs so you may be cutting it way too close.
I would say get at least a quality 750W to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps

Sebastian

Last edited:
just checking runing crossfire on my mobo run as 2 pcie x8 with this mean it uses half the power it normaly would and will that be same as one card at pcie x 16

just checking runing crossfire on my mobo run as 2 pcie x8 with this mean it uses half the power it normaly would and will that be same as one card at pcie x 16

still uses full power, the drop for x16 to x8 will probably take 1-2% of your gpu memory intensive application performance, which will not be noticeable.

hey guys just thaught id put this up here instead of starting a knew thread my new psu antec tp 750w makes a sort of buzzing noise (very quiet tho) when my pc is shut down is that a huge issue not had any random shutdowns or anything

hey everyone i just picked up a second 6950 aas i have read that thay are stoping the ability to flash bios and before i put it in wanted to double and triple check my psu aint gonna blow up running two of these babys oced and voltage+
cheers
psu is coolermaster 650w

what is the exact brand of cards you have? i just bought and msi reference.

xfx refrace but recently purchaced an xfx v 1. card so have put refrance back to stock bios mayjor air flow problems tho managing with cable ties a 120 fan and a little creativity

Back