• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Thermal Compound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Using the GC Extreme myself, Suprisingly, Before I was using AS5, and i dropped my temps by 16c with GC extreme.

No curing time, Non-corrosive, Non-conductive, Non-capacitive, easy to spread.

I JUST made a post in another thread unrelated to thermal compounds.

Ambient temps for both tests were 16.5-16.9(fluctuated due to drafts in room.)

Temps at max load with AS5: 67c(with stock cooler mind you.)

Temps at max with GC-Extreme: 51c.(again, stock cooler.)

I'm not sure if i didn't apply it correctly, or if some other variable(air bubbles?) was present, but I'm happily 16c colder with the new TiM.

With the lack of a need for cure time, no need to worry about the capacitive factor, as well as non-conductive, for only a .25c warmer cpu(according to the graph posted above), I can't complain.

yeah there is no way that you could have gained 16c just because of TIM, maybe the previous mount wasn't on there correctly (pushpin heatsinks can be a PITA like that) or something.

I'm thinking it might not have had as much pressure on it, and had some air bubbles. Still, prefer the no-cure time XD

I'm a big fan of MX2 myself. I like the fact that it is a good TIM, applies easily, cleans off even easier and it relatively inexpensive. You can about imagine how much paste I go through testing heatsinks.

whats the difference between the black tube and white tube of MX-2 ?

It is simple. OCZ Freeze or IC Diamond 7. Both are better than artic silver. OCZ Freeze is thinner while IC Diamond 7 is very thick. IC diamond is made out of diamond powder.

EDIT: Noctua paste is really good too.

Last edited:
It is simple. OCZ Freeze or IC Diamond 7. Both are better than artic silver. OCZ Freeze is thinner while IC Diamond 7 is very thick. IC diamond is made out of diamond powder.

EDIT: Noctua paste is really good too.

Now u tell me. I just ordered some MX-4 :mad: did i make a mistake??

Nah they are all within a few degrees of each other. Another one not mentioned is Innovation Cooling Perihelion, even that stuff is a few c better then AS5.

As was said, just apply it and mount your heatsink correctly, you would lose more degrees by applying it wrong or mounting incorrectly than to buy the wrong TIM.

OCZ Freeze (aluminum oxide based)
IC Diamond (carbon based)
Thermalright Chill Factor 3 (aluminum oxide based)

*I'm quite surprised that the aluminum oxide based thermal pastes are beating the silver particles based thermal pastes. (according to a few comparisons)

OCZ Freeze (aluminum oxide based)
IC Diamond (carbon based)
Thermalright Chill Factor 3 (aluminum oxide based)

*I'm quite surprised that the aluminum oxide based thermal pastes are beating the silver particles based thermal pastes. (according to a few comparisons)

OCZ Freeze is very thin/watery, and thin pastes work better on very smooth surfaces vs. rough surfaces. For example: IC Diamond works great on direct heatpipe and coarse surfaces and OCZ Freeze works better on copper plates. Then AS MX-4 on everything in between.

The thing is, thermal grease DOES matter as there is a 4.4c spread between the best and the worst. Every thing you do to bring down temps tends to ONLY make small difference. It's only when you combine THEM ALL that you see the massive difference. 5-10c on a better Heat Sink, 2-5 out of a better case, 2-3 out of better thermal grease. Add it all up and you got between 9-18c difference. Should mean more longevity or higher OC possibilities.

so tempted to link to my previous thread :p. I can vouch for MX4 though. seems to do the job well. Also cheap as hell for a 20g tube. I dont see that running out for a while. Not at least until MX4 become "old tech":D

Back