• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I reapply thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I applied some thermal paste before I realed my new cpu cooler didnt come with screws just push pins. So I had to run to the hardware store to get some screws. Its been about 45 min. since I applied it and left it sitting. Should I remove that and reapply or will it warm up again and reset once I have the pc running?

You took off your heatsink? Awesome dude!!! I mean that! You were worried about moving fans around and now you took off the heatsink and worked with it. See it's not at all hard is it? A little bit intimidating at first but not so bad once you do it. Next thing you know you will building a rig yourself!

Conumdrum is 100% correct. when i buy a tube of thermal paste (i prefer arctic silver myself), i always buy a large tube because i know i will go through it faster than i realize. you don't want to be caught with your heatsink off without any thermal paste on hand, i know from experience :bang head

Yea, I bout an Antec 300 case and a new heatsink and fan (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Rev. 2.) for my old system. I got everything in there even though it took me 4 hours to do so. It turns on but no display. I've tried 3 monitors I have. Then the skythe kaze fans I bout for the case, the four pins fell apart on me. Gonna return them tomorrow. Not sure why there is no display. Well, atleast I tried. :p

Tried 2 different gpu's. a 9800gt and the one that was in there before, a 9500gt. Neither show anything.

Strange, you should start a thread about it. I am more then positive you will find the help that you need. I wish I knew more. Do you have on board graphics? If so it may need to be disabled in the bios, and that's why the cards aren't working

Back