• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will PSU handle HD 6870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tod22

Having set the intimidating task of building my first computer upon myself, I have been lurking around these forums for about a week. Initially I will just recycle some components from old machines but in the coming months I am planning to get completely new parts. I am planning to do some casual gaming with it and the HD 6870 caught my eye as a very capabable card at a reasonable price. I have however bought a Corsair TX 650 W PSU and was wondering if installing an HD 6870 would be pushing it too much. From what I have seen an HD 6850 would offer me good performance as well all the while guzzling less power (I would however like to have the 6870 if my PSU can support it without too much trouble). For the rest of my machine I plan to get:

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
RAM: 2 sticks of 2Gb each DDR3
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Having set the intimidating task of building my first computer upon myself, I have been lurking around these forums for about a week. Initially I will just recycle some components from old machines but in the coming months I am planning to get completely new parts. I am planning to do some casual gaming with it and the HD 6870 caught my eye as a very capabable card at a reasonable price. I have however bought a Corsair TX 650 W PSU and was wondering if installing an HD 6870 would be pushing it too much. From what I have seen an HD 6850 would offer me good performance as well all the while guzzling less power (I would however like to have the 6870 if my PSU can support it without too much trouble). For the rest of my machine I plan to get:

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
RAM: 2 sticks of 2Gb each DDR3
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Tod,

No problem whatsoever with that Corsair 650W.

Thank you for your reply, looks like I'll be getting the 6870 after all :rock:

Ive been using a 750w to run both my i7 920 and a 5970, both overclocked. So you should be more than fine with that setup

Back