• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going back to Intel, need some recommendations.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Welp, I built a nice hexa core AMD rig but I really want an Intel. Can someone give me a CPU and mobo recommendation? And, what is the difference between a 67 & 68 chipset mobo?

Thanks brothers.

Hey Krag, good to see you back to your roots in Intel land.

What are you planning to do with this system? All around performance would be the 2600k, but if just gaming/messing around the 2500k would be fine.

With the motherboard, do you need anything in particular? Want high end OC or just a good all around mid-range board?

Also, keep in mind that Sandy Bridge E is just around the corner with the new Socket 2011 which should be the next enthusiast level Intel chip package. Ivy Bridge will be compatible with Sandy Bridge (regular 1155) motherboards so a drop in replacement is possible later on. There are some drawbacks to the SNB-E platform as you'll read in the link I provided and the timing won't be far from Ivy Bridge timing so it will be interesting to see how they compare. The smart move right now may be to plan on the socket 1155, go SNB now, then plan IB, but keep an eye out for SNB-E news and prepare to pay big for it if you want the best. The initial SNB-E trio is looking at $1000, $500-600, and $300. The first 2 being hex-core and the last being quad core.

Last edited:
Heh Max! Long time brother~! :) Yeah, all around performance is what I am interested in. Also it would be nice to have a mobo that I could just put a 6 core Intel in sometime in the future. A good mid range board with crossfire support would be sweet.

I have a Rampage III Formula, and its a pretty decent setup, it can belt out vcore, as much as you want without batting an eye, it can handle high speed ram with no troubles. I think I paid around 200 for mine off the forum here. Its probably not the most hardcore board you can buy, but its still pretty decent.

Yesterday I installed my 2600k in my Asus P8P67 Pro mobo and all is very good. Everything on this setup feels faster than my AMD 1090T hex-core and Asus 890fx mobo. I even get better download speeds...must be the LAN chipset.

I bought the mobo for $179 and the CPU for $314 at Fry's

Also, this bios is sweet! It has graphics and gui's and looks real purdy too. First time I have seen one like this.

Good choices. I am looking to put together my core I7 2600K, Asus P8Z68v-pro sometime this weekend. What RAM & what video card did you choose?

I got the Gigabyte 6970 OC version 920mhz on the core and 2x4gb corsair 1866 9cas

Back